1988 Mako 17 angler rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mako 17 angler rebuild

Here we go. 1988 Mako 17 Angler with a frozen up POS Mercury 115 on the back. This is how she looks when I brought her home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	547715

First the bow rail, console, tank cover and thirty years of wiring get removed.

Name:	IMG_0409.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	547720

Name:	IMG_0410.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	547718

Then the tank, it had several dime size holes rusted through, mostly full of water and sludge.

Name:	IMG_0412.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	653.5 KB
ID:	547721
    Attached Files
    Clearwater, FL

Ironically, I have just started rebuilding the same exact hull and year and have been debating starting a build thread. I have got as far as removing the old deck, rear boxes, stringers and transom. Still going through what seems like endless grinding to get past all the roven woving to a decently consistent inner hull for glass lay up. I also built a cradle for the boat in order to keep some integrity while I remove basically everything.

I'm thinking of slowing down my process and watching your thread.

Comment

MakoDave.....I am not tearing mine up to that degree. . The transom and deck seem fine. I am replacing the tank, sanding and repainting the hull, patching up the stock console and putting it back together. .

Attached Files
      Clearwater, FL

Comment

Ordered my tank today from Sunshine. They had a drawing that matched my tank exactly. I will pick it on my way to the Keys in a few weeks. Cleaned out the coffin and glassed over the holes. It continues......

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	547771
        Attached Files
        Clearwater, FL

Comment

Suggestion. Do yourself a favor and paint the coffin locker while it’s open.
          —PJ— Navy Vet, electronics nerd, Marine Technician
          1972 Mako 17 Angler with 99 Evinrude Ficht 90hp -> 4 Sale
          1980 Mako 238 with 90 Johnson 225 aka “The Sea Otter II”

Comment

Thanks, but why?, fiberglass doesn't rust, and I don't plan on ever seeing it again once I close it up.
            Clearwater, FL

Comment

No. It doesn’t. But a good coat of bilge paint will protect the fiberglass. Make it last longer. Not necessary, but recommended.
              —PJ— Navy Vet, electronics nerd, Marine Technician
              1972 Mako 17 Angler with 99 Evinrude Ficht 90hp -> 4 Sale
              1980 Mako 238 with 90 Johnson 225 aka “The Sea Otter II”

Comment

Might throw some paint on it, with about four weeks until I get the tank, I turned to the console. I took out my cordless drill and removed every screw that had been added over 30 years. The wood behind he reinforcement for the binnacle and steering wheel was rotten, so I took an angle grinder and tore out all the bad wood. I will replace that with some marine plywood. I went and got some high density foam to get to work on covering all the other holes, and there are many.

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	547786

Attached Files
                Clearwater, FL

Comment

wow buddy good to see you back on here. you use to roll with the 238? I believe i had you on the classic mako calendar on year. I enjoy the years of CM. havent been on much but would like to try to make an effort. looks like you got your work cut out for you. glad to see you used sunshine. they have ALWASY treated us well with the funaments
                  1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

That was me, I still have that pic of my 238 sitting at the Bimini Big Game Club in Bimini on my wall. That boat is now owned by a nice European gentlemen who summers in Germany and winters in Tampa. Sunshine was more expensive than the other options, but they were the only option that fit exactly, so I was not going to quibble over a few dollars for a less than proper tank install. I have been working on the console now while I wait on the tank. I glassed in a piece of plywood for under the steering and binnacle, and am using foam to cover the numerous other holes.

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	547871

Attached Files
                    Clearwater, FL

Comment

The console is just about ready for paint. The wife and I went down to Key West last weekend, (went six of eight on bonefish), and on the way we stopped by Sunshine Tanks in Medley and picked up the tank, which was ready. It went in the back of the wife's Lexus and now I should get it installed later this week.

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	548325 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	548327
                      Attached Files
                      Clearwater, FL

Comment

new tank installed, all new hoses, new cover glassed and screwed in.

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	548384 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	548386
                        Attached Files
                        Clearwater, FL

Comment