98 232 SeaDek for bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 232 SeaDek for bracket

With a little more time on my hands this spring I finally got around to addressing my bracket. The original grip tape had mostly worn off and my wife and kids were always unhappy with how harsh it was on them climbing onto the bracket from the water.

I ordered the sample kit from SeaDek but I wasn’t sure how the “teak” would look since my 232 has no other natural wood trim on it. Last fall while walking the docks in Newport I found some confirmation on this bad*ss Regulator sporting the same look.

Tupelo Honey[br]1998 Mako 232[br]Honda 225

So I went ahead with the faux teak look. SeaDek will send you a big old sheet of mylar to rough out the dimensions of your project.
    Last edited by andysweetland; 08-21-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

After getting my (very) rough outline, the SeaDek folks smooth it out and then send another Mylar test fit to make sure that it fits exactly. Unfortunately by the time I got to this step last fall I was already shrink wrapped for the winter and had to cool my jets for a few months. Come the spring I unrolled that baby and the fit was exactly perfect.
      I thought it was cool that they actually printed the pattern on the test fit, not just the outline; my wife was pretty excited to see the design.

Comment

By the time I gave the SeaDek folks the green light on the test fit their FL facility was closed down for quarantine. A little more waiting...

Comment

I was a little anxious about the install; I am sure you can find someone to do it for you but the SeaDek YouTube page had enough how-to videos that I felt confident doing it myself.
          the biggest challenge were those two wiring ducts running from the transom to the engine, there’s a pretty tight space between them and the bracket and they aren’t super flexible. Finally gathered up my courage and went for it with my wife enlisted as helper and potential fall-guy if it didn’t go well.

Nothing like peeling off an 8-foot sticker with only one shot to get it exactly right.

Comment

Ultimately I’m really happy with how it came out. The kids love it and say it is light years better when climbing back in from swimming. Feels much more secure to stand on and I’ve gotten some nice compliments on the look.

I assume the original factory brackets have reasonably identical dimensions so if anyone is interested in a similar setup I can pass along my SeaDek order file numbers to maybe save some time in the fit process.

My final invoice for the whole thing was $434, well worth it in my opinion for such a polished look and the time and care they took to make sure it fit exactly right.
            Last edited by andysweetland; 08-21-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Oh, and as a little Father’s Day gift to myself I snagged this nice helm pad from SeaDek as well - feels like I’m standing on a Cornish game hen while driving (in a good way...)

Comment

i like the seadek on our platform. thanks for sharing the price and pics. i may do this also
                1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Wow that looks great, I have the same bracket and may do the same. I always wondered how they got the pattern so snug fit, now my questions are answered lol.
                  Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X