Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To bracket or not to bracket?!? That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To bracket or not to bracket?!? That is the question.

So this weekend a friend of mine says "I'm going to be taking that bracket off my boat and it would work really well on yours". So now I'm considering it. I can get it for next to nothing. I don't know yet if it is the correct angle for my 231 but that part is easy to figure out. With the 2 boats side by side at the sandbar this weekend it looked like it would be really close. It's an aluminum bracket, I'm not sure who it's made by. I would have to have it blasted and powder coated to match, but my real conundrum is do I really want to do it and is it worth it? I know there are lots that have done it before me and have wrestled with the same questions. I think my transom is good. I've had this F225 on it for a year and a half and I don't see any signs of movement and we've spent a lot of time on it and been in some snottty conditions. The new bracket does have floatation built into it but I don't know how much. He has a Zuke 300 hanging on it now.

So I guess questions are this:

1) What will I gain by going to the bracket?
    2) What will I lose?
    3) How do I calculate the floatation that will be added by the bracket?
    4) To those that have installed brackets, would you do it again?
    5) Will I have to run a lot of tab? Currently I only use them to fix lean cause by poor people disbursement.
    6) ??????????????????????????????? What haven't I thought about??

Current setup is a 1990 231, 2006 F-225, Solas 15p x 14.75" x 4 blade, WOT 6100 RPM @ 45 MPH with 160 gal gas, 2 people, and 2 coolers of ice 2.05 MPG, Cruise same load 4600 RPM @ 28-29 MPH 2.60 MPG.

Side note---- I know of a local Yamaha master tech that can re-flash my 225 to a 250. Is it worth $600 for 25 hp?
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Would I do it again! Without a doubt. Many more positives then cons. My only down side with the Zuke 250 is the higher bow ride. Your COG will surely change. Your economy will increase
    [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Marc, do you have to use tabs or can you get by without them? One of these days I'll get on one of these trip with you and Jeff and see how it rides for myself.

Comment

Come check out my 254 in winter haven I wouldn't go back I am a little bow lite but I don't have a porpoise issue unless i really get on the trim no more water over the back while anchored bottom fishing since I enclosed My transom best thing i could have done like a new boat

1983 Mako 254/1999 Sport Nautique GT-40/1997 Sea Doo GSi/ 1984 Surf Jet

Comment

Thanks Z-man, I need to meet up with a few of you guys to go out on your boats just. It's always good to see how and what others have done to their boats, and get new tactics on fishing.

Comment

Heading to marathon Saturday. Will be my first real trip with 4 guys on it and decent seas to see how this thing will really perform

1983 Mako 254/1999 Sport Nautique GT-40/1997 Sea Doo GSi/ 1984 Surf Jet

Comment

FWIW, I researched the hell out of it and came to the conclusion that the 231 is a great candidate for a bracket and one of the main reasons I chose this hull for a rebuild. Are you planning to do any transom work in conjunction, or just bolt on the bracket and go? I think you lose some of the perceived benefits if you don't close in the transom, but that's a whole other can of worms to open. Think about rigging and whether the existing cables, hoses, etc can be re-routed and still reach and factor that in if not.

Comment

I've still got to get my hands on the bracket, but I'm planning on just bolt and go. I'm a metal fabricator by trade so I'm sure that something will be built to raise the transom a few inches at the very least. When I do that I'll figure out how best to bring the rigging through.

Comment

Well after over a year of deciding I finally pulled the trigger on my bracket. A guy local to Snappergapper and myself built and installed it (he did Snapper's as well). Took him 2 months start to finish. Cost just shy of $8k. I haven't been able to run it yet but I will update as soon as I do.

Comment

More
                    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

I will be closing the opening with an aluminum frame and star board. Just got to figure out how I want to build it.

Comment

So just spent 2 days fishing in Key Marathon. I love the bracket. Planing is quicker and easier to maintain at slow speed less water in the back of the boat (the rest will go away after I fill in the opening) and it rides noticeably better. In short its better.

Comment

awesome and glad you are happy with it. I love mine and like most things i wish i would of done it sooner. positives outweigh the negatives
                            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X