Fuel Tank ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank ?

I’ve always been amazed by the project Mako owners have undertaken . There results have been inspiring .As the original owner of a 1981 CC 25 footer i’ve started my own project .After 39 years of use and abuse Last November I started to smell gasoline under console prior to that the filter fuel was being clogged w/ small brown granules similar similar to sand or sea salt Not wanting a fuel fire or explosion I hauled the boat lifted the inspection hatch & found a much strong smell gas I Promptly drained the tank . A 39 -year-old gas tank has to be some type of record . I started the removal of the tank a week ago and will post pictures and updates as I proceed . If any members have any advice on this project I’d be glad to hear from them

Just replaced the tank in my 171. Easy peasy. Read countless stories of nightmares and got myself prepared for a fight. Nope. Popped right out. Used a 3' crowbar and put a block of wood against the edge of the coffin to pry against and just wiggled the tank back and forth one pry at a time. Took 10 minutes. Then used a small pry bar and a gasket scraper to scrape out the old foam.

Comment

If it doesn't want to pop out easily a 3000+psi pressure washer with a red tip makes short work of the foam
      [br]Z-man [br]Winter Haven, FL[br]1983 Mako 254[br]1999 Sport Nautique/GT-40

Comment

Thanks for the replies . Sorry I haven’t posted but could not access my account ??? Finally after numerous attempts success The tank is out all it took was a SawsAll with an extra long demo blade numerous handtools and a lot of sweating. It was a great learning curve next time it should be a lot easier. First attempt with 2 - 1 ton come along’s Only broke the 4 x 4 that placed the across the Gunnel. Second attempt with a HiLow and a cable bolted to the mounting tabs Only broke the welds and tore the tabs out. Third attempt with the HiLow we used a light chain fasten through a hole in the tank it prompt broke the chain. Finally fourth at attempt with a heavier chain and hook the Hi-Low got the tank out begrudgingly. The hairiest part of this was the Hi-Low operator / and longtime friend cutting a hole in the tank with the SawsAll while smoking ( His exact words & I quote “Don't worry aluminum doesn’t make sparks “ I crossed my fingers and held the fire extinguisher at the ready. See photos of tank . Thank God he was watching over us no sparks , no fire Out it came
        Getting the tank out we found a lot of pitting some severe but the tank seem sound not bad for a 39 year old tank Amazingly there was no gas in the coffin or foam . Will attempt to post pics with descriptions later today or tomorrow

Comment

Glad you got it out.
          Where are you getting the new tank from?

Comment

May bring to Atlantic Coastal Welding in Bayville NJ once the Flu Epidemic settles down

Comment

Its Moderating,

Now that you have the tank out, pressure check your fill and vent lines. The aluminum tube lines that run down the gunwhale and under the deck are notorius for failing. The aluminum in these lines corrodes through. Repair or replacement of the under deck lines is much easier when you can access them by working from the coffin. The gunwhale lines remain tough, but still easier because you can cut the 90 degree bends from the coffin with an extended blade of some sort.

Hopes this helps.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks again. Both the fill & vent lines aluminum tube were severely corroded and pitted w/ several pin holes in each .After getting the coffin lid up and tank out I cut a small access hole below the fuel fill on the gunnel To better access both lines . I cut most of the foam out That encased these two lines below the deck and behind Gunnel wall. I used my wife’s electric carving knife and a cordless drill with a 1.5” spade bit they made short work of the foam ( just being careful not to punch a hole in the boat ) Surprisingly the rubber lines 1.5 “ fuel fill and 3/8” vent lines we’re both in pretty good shape and still somewhat pliable. There were No sign of damage from ethanol in the fuel Amazing. They were labeled USGC TYPE “B” MFI 1981 . The stainless steel clamps were also in very good condition just a little rust on the screw heads with a little cleaning they look brand new . I’ve have been attempting to post pictures but cannot access my Classic Mako account even w correct password on my Motorola phone frustrating. I hope to resolve the photo issue with a trip to Motorola if they’re open .

Comment

If you're in this as deep as you are, replace every single thing you can possibly get your hands on. The new fill, vent, and supply lines cost me $150-200. Just replace them while you're in there.

Comment

Everything is going to be replaced. New Hoses , Clamps , Vent & Fill . Also re-doing Hydraulic steer lines and doing some wiring relocate battery switch. .ReCoring the hatch covers may also repaint deck (mustard yellow. ) It’s seems the list just gets longer .

Comment

Originally posted by Its Moderating View Post
                      May bring to Atlantic Coastal Welding in Bayville NJ once the Flu Epidemic settles down
                      Atlantic Coastal Welding (aka speedytanks.com) built my replacement fuel tank....John the owner was great to work with and his shop fabricated my tank to specs is short time.

It was a pleasure doing business with these guys... a quality product at a fair price, as well as excellent customer service.... I would definitely use them again if needed.

Good Luck with your project!

Eric

A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

Help needed Finally able to update my google photo app but now my iPad will not access Google photo app it default to Apple photo app is there any way to merge two photos on these apps or import google photos to apple app Stymied

Comment

OP where are you located?

Comment

Tank replacement on hold due to pandemic. I been attempting to post photos from my phone but have not been successful. I continually get error messages not enough memory does not support this format etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Phone is an Android Motorola E5

Comment

Working...
                            X