No announcement yet.

1978 mako 25 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I was looking at that today’ as a possibly to swap tanks if the boat don’t sit as I like on the float test , would be a lot of work but now would most definitely be the time to make the correction, was hard at it again didn’t get everything 100% fabed out of coosa but made really good progress an it’s starting to look like something

Comment

Joe...a ton of work going on here...keep at it!

Been following along and look forward to the next update.

Eric

A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Originally posted by PoleLock View Post
        Joe...a ton of work going on here...keep at it!

Been following along and look forward to the next update.

Eric
        Thanks Eric! we planning a long boat wrk weekend! picked up a fresh pail of crestomer today attempt to get gunwal glued, inside radius done an shape hard edges!! if everything goes smooth possibly get it all glassed "fingers crossed'

Comment

Was a lil cold yesterday but was out boat working! Was able to get coosa glued to the existing gunnel shell., today I got off work early an was able to get on the grinder an get the existing lip of the old gunnel grinded flush with new we well as doing most of my prep grind for a glass day this weekend! Have a lil bit of pasting/bondo to due as well.. can’t wait to get to the point to start painting

Comment

Was able to get everything resin pasted an glued in place, still some fine tuning on some radius's prep sand an cut glass, hopeing to glass Friday to tie gunnel top an chases in an Sunday to do gunnel face

Comment

When luck isn’t on your side it sucks... glassed the starboard gunnel an everything was absolutely perfectly not a single air bubble didn’t even have to make a relief cut in the 1708! Decided to pull the boat out of the canopy an in to my yard so we could paint a buddy projects console an hr or so goes by everything still going smooth my buddies in the zone sprayin gel an an all of a sudden I hear a faint sound of water hitting the side of a boat 🤔 .... my damm sprinklers came on and is drenching my glass job 😭😭😡🤬... so obviously first instinct was to haul ass to the pump house to turn them off. Now at this point the switch don’t wana turn the pump off 😳 next jerk the plug clear out the wall something gota happen lol now with the sprinklers off. I’m aggravated my buddies had no clue what happend (air compressor was running they never heard me) now we all go look at the damages ended up being 1/2 way lucky the resin was in the process of kicking off (1st 3 layers we mixed 65mils per 2.5 gal so it wouldn’t kick as we kept laying last layer was a lil heavier on the catalyst) so on the last layer of 2oz was effected.. phew disaster adverted sorta...
              Lay up was 2oz,1708,2oz,2oz in a 50% brick stager between each layer. Ultimately it was a success, gunnel are super strong with out the chases an braces in yet it is extremely strong an can be walked on with no flex

Comment

Comment

Gunnel tops are 100% glassed in! With out support in there strong enough to walk on already! Rear wall is squared up
                  an resin pasted in place, will glass in tomorrow as well as the gunnel face! Almost done with the glass work!

Comment

Was no shortage of glass put on gunnels

Comment

Looks awesome! Must be nice to have that part just about behind you. Now that everything turned out ok it must have been funny if someone was watching you running around like a mad man trying to turn off the sprinklers.

Current
                      '76 Mako 25 w/ '10 Yamaha F300
                      Previous
                      '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
                      '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
                      Brick, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by fandarr View Post
                        Looks awesome! Must be nice to have that part just about behind you. Now that everything turned out ok it must have been funny if someone was watching you running around like a mad man trying to turn off the sprinklers.
                        No doubt on that ! As fax as I know I was not seen lol at least no one has been laughing at my disposal that I know of 😂

Weekend weather was not favorable for glassing but Was able to get back wall glassed in an everything else’s preped for putting glass on gunnel face. And chases Looking like Friday will be the warmest day to get it done. Did manage to get the misses to pick a gel color for entire boat. All of the exterior hull. Gunnel top an inside walls will be one color. The floor console an leaning post will all be white... finally will be at the body work stage.

made a plan for that. Going to flat pad the entire inside with 36grit, then bondo/fair entire inside an line file nice an flat so gel lays down nice

Comment

100% of the major glass work is done!!! on to finish an body work ! Huge mile stone accomplished today... we may of started melting down the fridge when me buddy an I got out the boat at 11am with the sense of accomplishment. 25 gallons of gelcoat will be here Tuesday an the fun begins, weather we start on inside (if I can’t get it rolled this week) or on the exterior can’t wait to get some color on it

Comment

Dust is flyin.... starboard side wall is flat minimal bondo work floor is flat also Minimal grinding, have port side to knock flat and start the bondo an line file,
                            tank coffin is sanded flat going to glass drain pipe down, table tommrow night an start setting tanks! Was able to get the tanks coated with coal tar epoxy! Have a nice Walk tru video of the progress just done know how to upload it unfortunately

Comment

Sanding....the worst part of these builds

Your doing a dynamite job Joe....keep at it !

Eric
                              A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
                              https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Looking good!
                                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                                https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Working...
                                X