No announcement yet.

1978 mako 25 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I wish I would have done was put my boat on a scale before the final rigging. It would be interesting to know the weight of your boat when you are done - I bet it will be less then stock. Keep up the great work.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Thank you sir!
      That’s a really good idea! I have access to a scale not to far from home. It will absolutely be considerably lighter then stock. My console frame should be coming out of the mould next week,
      weather has killed my progress praying for good weather for the long holiday weekend to get the interior complete an ready for glass!

Originally posted by Sailor View Post
      One thing I wish I would have done was put my boat on a scale before the final rigging. It would be interesting to know the weight of your boat when you are done - I bet it will be less then stock. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Comment

Comment

made good progress this weekend, had to do tons of prep grinding on the under gunnel side to remove where the cap was originally screwed to the hull (at some point the cap was glassed to the hull)
            upside down work sucks lol used 1/2 coosa as the core marteial an trowled Crestafix 621CC 85 Bonding Paste to hull side before putting screws to pull the coosa tight to the wall debating weather or not to remove the screws sticking the hull or cut them flush then grind them a lil below the surface and fill with a bondo before fareing an spraying gel
            (original plan was to wedge 2x4s to push coosa tight but we quickly found out that was not going to work)

Comment

This is an excellent build. I am impressed with the amount of work you are getting done in such a short period of time. Your project is now another reference point for mine. Looking forward to your next post to see the progress.
              Why would I pay someone to do something I could do better myself! The life best lived is through the journey of experience.

Comment

Christmas came early an the console got delivered. Have a light bit of finishing to do an a quick polish! To much excitement to not do a “test fit an drink beer moment”
                Tomorrow will be back at it getting all the fliets for floor an was done an glass cut for a big glass day going to try an do walls an floor all at once continuous glass going to be a big task but I’ll get done... goal is after floor all walls are glassed fare an paint before the end of the year. An get ready to roll the hull to work the bottom

Comment

Prep is 90% done, glass is cut! Lay up is 2oz/1708/1708/2oz/2oz (slight change to original plan)
                  going to dry fit glass an pre cut areas for in floor hatch.
                  glass is going to be laid on floor, up gunnel walls an under existing under gunnel shell all in once piece

Comment

There’s light at the end of the tunnel! Bad ass build! Can’t wait to see it finished

Comment

Made make progress today! Move the boat in to the tent an finished prep pulled peel ply an acetone bath from head to toe lol got almost all the glass laid, ended up nixing the under gunnel just wasn’t going to look good when we started glassing (falling) we’ll end up tieing it back in before the gunnel top is fabbed an glassed. Have apx 3’ more of the floor an walls to glass Tommrow and set the bilge hatch. 3 guys 2 pros an one fat guy(me) we started laying glass at 4:30 an wrapped up at 11 the light at the end is visible now 😂

Comment

looking good!
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL
                        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Floor/gunwale glass 100% glassed total of 12 long hours but it’s done

Comment

Happy New Year Joe. You guys are doing a great job on your project...one heck of a project.

Looking at this picture, I realized for the first time just how far forward the fuel might end up assuming your front tank is just inside the front bulkhead. If so, I have a hunch (just a hunch) that you will have too much weight forward and will be bow down at rest and plow at slow speeds.

I am certain that your reason to move the weight forward is to offset the additional weight of the twin 200's. Earlier you posted a pic of the bracket you are planning to use and Sailor commented that he tought the tub was too small for twins which may be the case. If so, maybe too small a tub is going to be offset by maybe too much weight forward. However, I'm just concerned that she is not going to float the way you want.

I only raise this concern because of my experience moving the weight forward to offset engine weight on my 25. And, I did not move it as far forward as it appears yours will be. The center of gravity program that I referenced to you was helpful to me. But, in my opinion the program was really only a guide. If there is any way you can put her in the water weighted down in the appropiate places I would reccomend it. It is a PITA but I believe well worth it.
                            Ole Joe
                            Just floundering around
                            White Hall, Maryland
                            1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thank you sir and happy new year as well!
                              Yea I’m a little concerned I may of put it a lil to far forward, so the big area is the main tank, 140 gal an then white area behind the main is an aux 40gal fuel tank, we are absolutely 100% going to do a float test sooner then later, wanted to get all the glass work done so we can play around with weight an possible adding to the motor tub if needed..
                              before we roll the hull is when the float test is going to take place, I have all the weight #’s for hard Top frame etc to place in the boat as well as motor weight an a few water barrels to compensate for fuel fingers crossed 🤞 I got it right,
                              started templating the gunnel top today, they will be made out of coosa an will make the lip in the front end up being flush gunnel no more raised area

Comment

Good planning. I like it.
                                Another thought would be putting the 140 tank behind the 40 if you have to. That would mean removing the rear bulkhead. But if she will not sit the way you want, it won't be the end of the world...just more darn work. To see how that might work, you could reverse your weights and slide them fore and aft until she is sitting right.

I mentioned in an earlier post that if I had it to do over, I would go back to two tanks. What I did not say is that I would have them made up equal in capacity. We do so many trips requiring totally different fuel, ice, people, and gear loads that having the ability to enhance balance with fuel placement is an advantage. I overlooked that opportunity when I replaced my tank because I no longer was burning the fuel I used to and did not anticipate doing so in the future. There was an 80 gallon tank available that was a good fit and it provided a substantial savings.

Another thing that influenced me was the knowledge that Mako offered the 25 with the 80 gal tank (mounted in the rear of the compartment) as their standard. The 40 was optional. From my own personal experience, the hull had its best balance when only the rear tank was used. When both tanks were full for canyon trips she sat low. Low enough that the water ran up the scuppers to 1" below the floor drains. So, I adopted the practice of normally carrying 50-60 gal rear and 20 gal front. That gave me plenty of range, with a reserve if it was needed, excellent balance, and dry decks.

The advantages that I might have gained with 2 equal sized tanks would have been less weight transfer by the fuel in shorter tanks along with greater flexibility of weight placement using different fuel loadings. But I missed it. And I mention it now only as something for you to chew on. Food for thought!

Keep up the good work. You are going to have one fine old girl when you’re done.
                                Ole Joe
                                Just floundering around
                                White Hall, Maryland
                                1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                                X