X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z28joe2 View Post

Its going to be formed out of 12lb foam, and glassed in. Were
    going to use it as a cooler, fish box Is in the transom
    Wish I could imagine this in my head! I am pumped about this lounger cooler. My wife is already yelling at me ti figure it out! Man I need a crash course in fiberglass construction.
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

Originally posted by Wpeavy View Post
      I'm curious of your expected budget on this build. It's going to be a badass brand new boat when you're done. I wish I could do glass work, I'm a metal guy so all my projects are done that way. I get scared when it comes to cutting holes in mine.
      What’s a budget when it comes to boat building 😂 as long as I keep telling misses “it’s cheaper than a brand new boat” (I hope) shooting for around 40-45k then I’ll be alright, with me and my buddies doing all the glass wrk an gettin materials at cost it’s hasn’t been to bad. Luckily I’m right in new Smyrna beach Fl an we have like 6 boat manufactures an I have a buddy at each plant as well as a stringer manufacturer. Lucked out big time from Daughterys manufacturing(solace boats) Hooked me up with a slightly outa date 55gal resin barrel (1month) that they can’t use!!

all the foam I have is the scrap from stringer kits and still have a ton of use in them!!

Comment

Originally posted by rustyolddad View Post

Wish I could imagine this in my head! I am pumped about this lounger cooler. My wife is already yelling at me ti figure it out! Man I need a crash course in fiberglass construction.
        I’ll deff post photos of progress when we start building it, looking like Thursday afternoon we’re glassing stringers if the weather forecast says decent

Comment

Originally posted by z28joe2 View Post

What’s a budget when it comes to boat building 😂 as long as I keep telling misses “it’s cheaper than a brand new boat” (I hope) shooting for around 40-45k then I’ll be alright, with me and my buddies doing all the glass wrk an gettin materials at cost it’s hasn’t been to bad. Luckily I’m right in new Smyrna beach Fl an we have like 6 boat manufactures an I have a buddy at each plant as well as a stringer manufacturer. Lucked out big time from Daughterys manufacturing(solace boats) Hooked me up with a slightly outa date 55gal resin barrel (1month) that they can’t use!!

all the foam I have is the scrap from stringer kits and still have a ton of use in them!!
          I'm over in Lakeland but I have a friend that lives in Oak Hill just south of you. They crab fish and build their own little skinny ruining working skiffs. I've always been fascinated with how they do it but never got into it. Maybe one day when I'm over there I'll get up with you and see it.
          '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Wpeavy View Post

I'm over in Lakeland but I have a friend that lives in Oak Hill just south of you. They crab fish and build their own little skinny ruining working skiffs. I've always been fascinated with how they do it but never got into it. Maybe one day when I'm over there I'll get up with you and see it.
            Yea for sure oakhill is super close a short drive down us1!

Comment

Weather kinda sucked this week didn’t get any glassing done, was able to build a mold for my live well leaning post combo. Hopefully going to shape the edges this weekend an gel coat to get ready to pull a mould off it ...
              if I’m able to save the mould I’ll make another if someone is interested

Comment

Made pretty good progress on the leaning post
                /live well combo, edges shaped. Bondo all over to smooth edges out. Hopefully able to get a couple coats of gel coat on an some release wax an start laying up this week, weather sucks so making due with what I can

Comment

Thanks this will help a ton when I am try to build one. Please include materials when you start the glass work, I am a very green in that area. Love the look of that console!
                  1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

That will be one heck of nice boat once you get it done. I certainly do not envy the grinding and glassing right now!
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Originally posted by rustyolddad View Post
                      Thanks this will help a ton when I am try to build one. Please include materials when you start the glass work, I am a very green in that area. Love the look of that console!
                      Absolutely I will definitely do that! Going to be a sweet live well/leaning post set up, Hoping to have the gelcoat on tonight after work

Comment

Originally posted by Sailor View Post
                        That will be one heck of nice boat once you get it done. I certainly do not envy the grinding and glassing right now!

thanks!!!! Yeah there’s definitely a lot of grinding involved I tell myself every day and grinding I need to get at least an 18 pack of Busch light to go with it

Comment

Haven’t gotten around to spraying my livewell/leaning post mould, every attempt the weather hasn’t really been in favor, finally got the leaves an water cleaned out to update the stringers, has 2 layers of 1708 on one stinger. Gona wrk on scuffing an prepping for finishing it up with a few layers of chop an 2408 then move to other side

Comment

Finally back to working on the boat,
                            starboard stinger glassed *minus tieing in to transom*, Hopeing to finish bulk lay up on the port stringer over the weekend out in some scuffing and prep to tie in both stingers to the transom. had a change in Glass lay up from previous post due to availability of 2408 thanks to the corona, ended up going with lay up below.
                            - update I’m leaning post/live well
                            we have about an hrs worth of fine-tuning on leaning post mould mainly inside corner radius

glass lay up is
                            (all layers going up hull 6” on each side of stinger)
                            -2oz chop
                            -32oz woven roven
                            -2oz chop
                            -32oz woven roven

Comment

Decided to remove existing chime stingers in the area of the in floor storage, started adding to the foam bulkheads...
                              ok the fence of how to strengthen this area to spread the load the old chime stringer took,

what I’m thinking is add a lot of glass to hull side, an add a support beam the length of the box against the gunnel wall as well as corner angle blocks in side the in floor well not sure if that will be enough strength or not,
                              plan to glass this weekend Doing all the prep wrk this week

Comment

Long day of glassing.... stringers done minus tie in to transom, chime stringers raised! Next on to bulk heads and foam bow and install tank, making more progress on leaning post plug/ mould, shaping done. Sprayed with gel, and knocked flat still have to spray gel in areas to touch up spots that were thin an ready to take up to 1500grit wax, Pva make the mould

Comment

Working...
                                X