No announcement yet.

restoring 228 cuddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so finished putting Nida Core in with 1708 fiberglass on fuel coffin cover and did this in the cradle and thankfully the cover matched the floor curvature of the floor. Next working on matching area in front of coffin and blending in.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the fuel coffin cover should sit on top of the foam on top of the tank for extra support or should there be a air gap in this area ? There's 1/2" nida core with one layer on the bottom and 2 layers on the top and it has only a slight flex when walking on it. that's why im wondering if it should contact the foam, Thanks

Comment

I’m in the middle of a similar project and recently pulled my 125 gallon fuel tank out of my 25 foot Mako. My fuel tank had no foam on top and a space of-approximately to 4 inches space Between the top of the tank and the bottom of the Deck . My coffin lid was constructed of 3 x 3 plywood blocks basically covered with resin and no fiberglass mat even though the plywood was pretty wet the deck was still solid under foot . Yours should be fine just the way you finished it . Question are you going to form the tank and if so how will you get foam under the tank to fully Support it.

Comment

Takeoff, I also have a 228 redid the fuel tank ,cut out the coffin and cleared all the foam i could due to the fact it was waterlogged. I didn't foam the top of the tank when i put it all back together and i have a flex in my floor when i walk on it . I plan on foaming the top of my tank then glassing the edge to keep water from possibly getting to the foam. i have seen it done on the forum but not sure who did it . Maybe Bind hog or Brando
          Lot of work to be done 1982 Mako 228 My Precious

Comment

Smeagol, my floor is pretty solid but do see a slight flex when on it. I was thinking of putting a plastic film under coffin cover to keep the foam from adhering to the floor cover and foaming thru the fuel sender plate as the engine fuel supply goes thru a plastic pipe on top of the tank. Got to do some more thinking about this method though. Doing it this way the foam should expand against the cover bottom and i can remove cover as plastic should keep it from adhering to cover, just not sure if it will melt the plastic ? I could us a very thin film of rubber but this would give a small space between the cover and foam. still in planning mode as new tank isn't done yet, may experiment a bit.

Comment

Its Moderating, i was hoping to pour the foam down sides of tank before putting cover on. never foamed yet this will be my first time. going to do some research on this product

Comment

Another option for deck support would be to add a transverse stiffener or two to the underside of the coffin cover. Put a couple layers of glass around the stiffener and tie it into the deck along it's length with a couple more layers. Since you have a mock up of the coffin cover curve already made, you can scribe the curve on a 1" x 3" (s) and cut it out.

I should think that you don't want the deck flexing under foot since it will fatique the glass/tiffener/deck bond.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                1978 Mako 25

Comment

that's an option as yes i don't want the floor flexing. What pound foam should be used around tank area?

Comment

I used 4lb. Foam and that worked well.
                    Remember small batches and cover up everything you don’t want foam on.
                    Stuff gets everywhere and does not come off without staining.
                    good luck
                    Lot of work to be done 1982 Mako 228 My Precious

Comment

Working...
                    X