1969/70 Mako 19 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969/70 Mako 19 Project

I am still trying to decipher what year this Mako is, but that shouldn't keep me from posting progress pics of my boat's "awakening"

This was stored under a tree for a lot of years, and then most recently 5 years inside a storage building collecting dust (someone else's project that never got started.)

Here is how it looked when I picked it up, no engine, frozen steering, and linkage, much baked on caked on dirt... 1 million holes above and below the waterline from 45+ years of installing and uninstalling various accessories, transducers, downriggers, and the like.

I figure on removing railing, patching a million holes, painting the topsides, hull, and bottom paint, old motor repower, and new controls, steering, and wiring. The goal is to get it functional to use this season.

After that we will be building a house (likely boat will go to the way back burner)

Then if we think the boat will fit our needs, I plan to repower with a newer used motor, do the transom, raising it to 25" and narrowing the opening.

The deck will likely be replaced at this time as well.

That's the tentative plan anyways...
    Mako 19[br]Port Sheldon, Michigan

Not real sure about the year but I will say that my dad bought us a 19 back in the day and it was a 72. The console had evolved from what yours has. Clearly that could have been changed on yours but doubt it. My guess is it is earlier than 72 for sure. We had twin 70s on ours which was not ideal. My brother always loved twins and talked my dad into that. Boat was not made to be rigged like that. It was slooooow too.

Have fun with the project

Comment

It looks a maybe a 1970 a friend had a 70 19fter same color floor, whats the hull id number usually the last digits is the year..he had a 115 hp Evinrude on it ran very good with it only draw back was the low transom water always came over the back otherwise great boat
      Prev Boats[br]1974 18ft Fleetcraft 74-97[br]1974 20ft Mako 95-99[br]Currently[br]1978 25ft Mako CC 99-??

Comment

I guess at this point I am not too worried about what year it actually is, as the repairs will be the same regardless.

Brett (triplebogey) replied to my year inquiries in the Q&A thread

"That looks like part of the BIA or Coast Guard plate which were plastic and installed on the console. On these we put the model ( the M19 and the hull number which would be 767. Getting a date is hard to do exactly but based on 250 production days available per year and we built one a day it would put it clearly in the early 70's (maybe as early as 1970. The above deck fuel tank reinforces this time frame as well. The sea Foam green deck started at the beginning and was available through out the 70's as an option and even into the 80's when requested"id="blue">

I have more pics as I have been working on this for several weeks now, and holding off on posting a project thread because I was still researching the year.

Comment

1970 I have the same one I'm restoring now

quote:

Originally posted by mikesab

I guess at this point I am not too worried about what year it actually is, as the repairs will be the same regardless.
          Brett (triplebogey) replied to my year inquiries in the Q&A thread

"That looks like part of the BIA or Coast Guard plate which were plastic and installed on the console. On these we put the model ( the M19 and the hull number which would be 767. Getting a date is hard to do exactly but based on 250 production days available per year and we built one a day it would put it clearly in the early 70's (maybe as early as 1970. The above deck fuel tank reinforces this time frame as well. The sea Foam green deck started at the beginning and was available through out the 70's as an option and even into the 80's when requested"id="blue">

I have more pics as I have been working on this for several weeks now, and holding off on posting a project thread because I was still researching the year.

1970 19\' Mako[br]1985 15\' Chaparral Deluxe 162[br]

Comment

I'm stoaked to see where you go with this ... I have a 19 myself and. Repowered and got seaworthy. I plan on raising the transom full height and redoing floors. And gel coating
            Justin[br]1976 MAKO 19[br]BALTIMORE,MD[br]

Comment

My initial plan is to get a workable boat for this summer (remainder) and fall.

I freedive and salmon fish, so this boat will cover both of those nicely.

I have been working on it for the last few weeks, and will start posting the progress pics.

I did order my T-Top from Stryker tonight, so that will be my incentive to getting busy and putting the finish on this stage of the project.

I Started by removing the Center Console and stripping out the old control cables and rusted steering.

The reason the fuel economy was so bad for the previous owner...

Removed the railing and started grinding out all the flaky gelcoat under the teak steps

and beveling all the old mounting holes from many generations of downriggers and deck mounted plates.

Filled all the smaller holes with thickened epoxy, then faired with "totalfair" Epoxy fairing compound.

The larger holes used to fill the floatation foam were glassed over with multiple layers of torn CSM and epoxy, and then faired

Started stripping the console down in preparation for filling holes.

I was shocked how many holes are in this thing from so many years of added and removed accessories. Lots of sanding, filling and fairing... and more sanding

There were also quite a few cracks around the front jump seat storage area, soon to be ground out and repaired with csm and epoxy

I plan on making the new lid/cushion big enough to hopefully avoid flexing that portion of the box as much

I also dug out the rotted wood for the bow eye, as it was pulled thru to where the nuts were touching the fiberglass of the bow. I of course had to cut an access hole, which will allow for chocks to be thru bolted, and ease wiring.

Not much integrity left in the wooden bow block

I am behind in posting pics for the prep and repair work

I am already at the point of sanding the whole boat down in prep for primer tomorrow.

I will try and get more prep pics uploaded soon.

Thanks for all the encouragement, and vast knowledge of this community!

Comment

It has a tank under the deck, so its not a 69 or 68. The console is very close to my 69 19, but not the same.

Comment

My guess is 1979ish

Comment

No tank under deck. That tank was under the console.

Plus no 12 digit hull number which was required after 1972

Brett confirms being hull number 767, it is probably 1970ish

1979 would have put them into hull numbers roughly around 3000 (using Brett's rough calculation of production days and 1 boat per day produced.

Comment

My 19 is a 69 I think and hull serial is "m19 419". Maybe they changed the console in 1970. I thought they went with a tank under the deck by 70, but maybe not.

Comment

Not much to post today, I was hoping to shoot some primer on the console, but ended up doing some more fairing and sanding...

Also, filled all the seat mounting screw holes in the deck with thickened epoxy. (no pics of that)

Comment

looking great man!!
                          Justin[br]1976 MAKO 19[br]BALTIMORE,MD[br]

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement!

I had planned to work on the boat most of today, but lost a good part of it, due to some after hours vandalism at my gun club (I had to download the video for the cops), but I still managed to finish sanding the console and top of the gunnels tonight.

I even had enough time to spray the first coat of primer on some areas, and it felt SO good to see all the repaired and sanded areas fade away into a nice smooth primery white boat []

I have meetings in the morning tomorrow, but after that I am hoping to sand all this down and get primer on the rest of the foredeck and skirting.

Projects yet to do:

Inset plywood backers or Stainless Toggles in deck for T-top to mount

Over-drill, backcut and fill Console mounting holes in deck

Sand/grind down the non-skid decking

Grind out the crackled gelcoat where the deck meets the side skirting

Repair and fair the above ground out gelcoat

Re-drill the Motor Mounting holes in the transom (Already backcut and filled the holes with thickened epoxy)

Cut access hatches in skirting to install stern cleats and my Bert's Track system

That's all for now...

Comment

Judging by the pics I'd say 1970 is about right...earlier than 70 there was no cut-out in the seat in front of the console. Everything else looks the same as my 68. If that deck is still solid, you are lucky on a boat that old. I had to remove the deck, and trash it, then rebuild all the stringers and fill with new foam...then glass a new deck on top of that. Its worth it...these hulls perform great. Good luck with your build! Keep posting pics
                              [/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X