1970 19"6' rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 19"6' rebuild

Finally found time to start the rebuild process of my 19" 6. Me and a buddy of mine cut out most the deck and started removing the old water logged foam. Next, I plan to cut out the stringers and glass the bottom. My questions for you guys out there are. I know your not supposed to cut all of the stringers out in order for the hull to maintain its shape, but which stringers should I cut out and which ones should I not cut out. Also, which type of glass should I use to refiberglass the hull.I'm thinking about using prisma preformed stringers and having a below deck fuel tank and a coosa board deck
    1970 19\' Mako[br]1985 15\' Chaparral Deluxe 162[br]

you can cut out all of the stringers but YOU HAVE TO BUILD A PROPER SUPPORT FOR THE BOAT TO HOLD THE SHAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are many rebuilds of 19 on here. what year is the boat. looks like a early 70's

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by usgbds2004

you can cut out all of the stringers but YOU HAVE TO BUILD A PROPER SUPPORT FOR THE BOAT TO HOLD THE SHAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are many rebuilds of 19 on here. what year is the boat. looks like a early 70's

Comment

Take the boat off the trailer and set directly on the floor like on a concrete slab. Let the belly rest and block up the sides and level the boat. Once the boat is secure like that then you can cut out all the stringers. Just not a good idea to do on the trailer. Way I've done it for years and never went wrong. Good luck
        BadMako.[br]

Comment

Thanks for the info

quote:

Originally posted by BarryJohnsonjr

Take the boat off the trailer and set directly on the floor like on a concrete slab. Let the belly rest and block up the sides and level the boat. Once the boat is secure like that then you can cut out all the stringers. Just not a good idea to do on the trailer. Way I've done it for years and never went wrong. Good luck

Comment

This looks familiar. Good luck!

Are the stringers rotten? Taking the stringers out adds a lot of work and may not be needed. Some people still do it, but make sure you want to. I did not, but I did a lot of things a little differently on my 19.

Comment

Yes, the stringers are rotten. Pretty much all the wood is water logged, and all the fiberglass matting is exposed. I'm going to cut the middle stringer out first and sand it down and reglass hull and add new stringers. The transom seems solid but I don't no if the wood is good. I might have to replace it as well, I would really like a full transom with porta bracket

quote:

Originally posted by beeze455

Are the stringers rotten? Taking the stringers out adds a lot of work and may not be needed. Some people still do it, but make sure you want to. I did not, but I did a lot of things a little differently on my 19.

Comment

Comment

Do you guys know what type of fiberglass mat I should use to laminate hull and how many layers?

Comment

I used 1808. Sometimes 1.5oz mat in between.

Comment

Man that does look familiar! Keep posting pics!
                      [/URL]

Comment

Did a little more demolition work this past Sunday. I tore out more of the deck and more of the foam.all that is left is a little up from near the forward deck hatch and under both gunnels. I think my first step will be to replace the transom then stringers. Any suggestions?

Comment

I notice you have the same boat, what size motor are you running? I'm thinking of going with 200HP 4 stroke.

quote:

Originally posted by FarleyPalmer

Man that does look familiar! Keep posting pics!

Comment

Do your trailer bunks run the length of the boat? Before you do anything with the stringers its gotta be supported properly...any distortion will be made permanent when you replace the stringers. When we did mine we determined that the 4" x 6" cypress bunks on my trailer were OK for support and everything was nice and straight and the hull was not racked.
                            [/URL]

Comment

Grinded the transom skin clean

Comment

Working...
                              X