17' Angler Little Orphan Annie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17' Angler Little Orphan Annie

Hey guys, I have been lurking around this site for almost a year now wanting to restore a mako. Well I finally pulled the trigger on one, and one that was once owned and named LOA by dtmackey. Apparently this boat has been around and owned by many different people with the intent to restore it, but never got around to it for one reason or another. Well that ends here!! Restoration will begin this week! A little about me, I have been around the marine industry my entire life; I have done a lot of little fiberglass projects, but nothing to this magnitude. I did a little finish work on my 31' JC Boat using Interlux Perfection which came out well, but I am planning on either gelcoat or Awlgrip for this project. Well, here are the pictures. I just got it home about an hour ago!

Upon first inspection, both springers are broken!!

Looks like everything is coming out!! I guess my first question is being that I am replacing the stringers, should I do the transom too? There was a plug cut out, and it looks a little wet, but not rotted. Any advice on ANYTHING, would be greatly appreciated!! I'm looking forward to this project!
    31\' JC Casco Bay[br]17\' Mako Angler[br]Manorville, NY

I would to the transom if you need to do the stringers. The angler just has more work with all the boxes in the back...Lots of builds on this site to help you out. There is one going on right now--same boat.

Comment

looking at the pictures I would not replace the stringers with the boat sitting on that trailer. judging from the gaps in them there is a lot of pressure under those broken spots.
      76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

i think broken stringers were a factory original option[8D]
        Lindenhurst, New York[br]Please email me if you are seeking advice so that I can answer when I have the free time to devote to your question. Thank you.[br]www.raybomarine.com

Comment

All this talk about broken stringers is starting to worry me. Is there a standard spot on the 17 where they normally break and if so, can you access/inspect it by cutting through the fuel tank coffin walls and digging foam?
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Well I had a couple of hours to get started on the boat today. First thing I did was try to support the boat a little better on the trailer. Added some support along the sides and bow, and tried to close the gap on that stringer. It would not close. I was lifting the entire boat off the trailer with the jack. What do you guys think?? Should I maybe take it off the trailer and make a cradle for it? I like it being on the trailer so I can move it out of the garage when I need to work on cars or something.

Anyway, I got the coffen out, and started digging out the foam. I still have A LOT to go!! It looks like somone cut out part of the foam at one time and replaced some of it. Up top it was dry,, but then you could see a where the new stuff stopped, and the old was down at the bottom and up towards the bow. It was soaked with GAS!!! I had to open the doors and windows as I started getting a little high!! So here's todays progress.

Stringer did not close up

This is another broken spot I found today. This is the same stringer that has the big gap. I was really surprised the hull is not cracked!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by gw204

All this talk about broken stringers is starting to worry me. Is there a standard spot on the 17 where they normally break and if so, can you access/inspect it by cutting through the fuel tank coffin walls and digging foam?

None of my stringers broke. They just didn't have a core anymore. This was one of the best made boats from the era. I would hate to see a piss poor one. I guess they might not be around anymore[] The roven had lots of voids going over the stringers. I bet they oil can over time and the stringer pops.

I guess you could check for stress cracks.

Comment

So in my planning, is it bad to build up my new stringers to the height of the floor and attach the floor to the new stringers? I think I am also going to make a grid for added strength.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Field Tester

Well I finally pulled the trigger on one, and one that was once owned and named LOA by dtmackey. Apparently this boat has been around and owned by many different people with the intent to restore it, but never got around to it for one reason or another. Well that ends here!! Restoration will begin this week!

The boat was owned by someone down in the NJ area (I beleive) and was purchased by Bob Carpenter and brought to Maine. He started the project, but was consumed by another calling and the boat just sat. He was after me for 9 months to purchase it and finally I deciced to take it on and also cleaned out his barn of all other Mako related boat stuff. He named her LOA after his string of Annie named boats (after his wife). Since the project was for my son and he was 8 at the time, there was no sense in restoring it right away and I stored it in NH, but the nasty ice storms kept wrecking the cover and I was constantly fixing holes from falling tree limbs. I decided that it was best to sell the boat and pick up a project when my son was closer to 16 years old and able to use it.

I sold the boat to Grant in CT and he planned to restore her, but was also distracted with other projects and the boat just sat. Now it seems to have a home where she will get the attention she deserves and be brought back to life.

While she was graced with the name long before being orphaned numberous times, you can see that she has certainly earned the name.

Good luck with the project.

D-
                  Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Nothing wrong with the floor being supported by the stringers. My boat rides much more solid than the bigger 2002 17 my in law has.

Comment

Ryan, your boat is beautiful, and I keep looking over your build thread to help in my planning. Did you remove all of the foam in the sides? If so, did you replace it? I was thinking about cutting open the inner liner so that the rod holders can just drain into the cockpit, but then I was reading that I would have to strengthen the hull sides by coreing them. Im also thinking about raising the transom being that I don't have a motor yet. Any opinions??

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Field Tester

Ryan, your boat is beautiful, and I keep looking over your build thread to help in my planning. Did you remove all of the foam in the sides? If so, did you replace it? I was thinking about cutting open the inner liner so that the rod holders can just drain into the cockpit, but then I was reading that I would have to strengthen the hull sides by coreing them. Im also thinking about raising the transom being that I don't have a motor yet. Any opinions??

I took all the foam out behind the boxes and on the hull bottom. I put back a bunch. The port side had a hack job tank replacement at one time and was missing a bunch of foam. I didn't make enough area for the foam to expand and it rippled the inner liner causing more work.[xx(]

I like the inner liner because it helps support the hull and deadens sound. There isn't much room under there on the older 17's...

Comment

So I've decided I'm going to raise the transom to accommodate a long shaft motor. I also decided I want to open up the inner liner so that any rod holders mounted can just drain into the cockpit. I saw a post a while back where someone cored the sides with a material that looked like it had little pin holes in it. The guy said it was very flexible and added a lot of strength to the hull. He even posted a link to where he got the material, but I have been searching and can't find the post again. Does anyone have a link to a similar material, or know re post Im talking about?

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

There are a few products that you can use. I think you looked at core mat.

You could always just plumb drains for the rod holders. Taken that out creates a lot of work.

Comment

That's the stuff!! Thanks! I know it's a lot of work, but I HATE this foam. I've been pulling soaked foam out of this boat for 2 days now! When it goes back together, I don't want to chance having an area that can get wet again, so I'm going to core the hull and do away with the foam all together. I know people may disagree with no foam, but I'd rather build extra support with glass and coring, than foam. The only thing I may foam is the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X