High water alarms - Floridasportsman article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High water alarms - Floridasportsman article

Anyone read the article in the latest Florida Sportsman? Everyone gets that it nationwide right? Anyways, the article talks about how easy it is to hook up a high water alarm - one lead of horn to negative on battery post - other lead to float switch - other lead of float switch to inline fuse - then to positive on battery.

This simply yet effective alarm could have saved several boats and people (including Warthog's boat). I'm planning on installing one soon since I do leave my boat in the water overnight occasionally.

Also talked to someone with a cape horn 21 recently who thought their boat was acting sluggish, then decided to open the bilge hatch and the bilge was completely full of water. They saved the boat, but were contemplating beaching the boat to save it....fortunately they weren't offshore. The problem was the thru hull hose for the livewell coming off after the 750 GPH livewell pump and the 500 gph bilge pump couldn't handle it. He is know going to install a second and increase the size of both pumps.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

They are good to have.

Comment

Cant sink a capehorn. I filled a bilge up and the console up on one and still made it in just fine. One heck of a solid safe boat.
      Slidell, La

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Speck-Tacular

Cant sink a capehorn. I filled a bilge up and the console up on one and still made it in just fine. One heck of a solid safe boat.

I think they used to claim the same thing with a Mako. It won't sink, but it sure will turn upside down when full of water. [:u]
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

High water alarm is a great idea[]

The whole idea of the seacocks is that they can be closed when not in use so you don't have to trust a hose or plastic pump to keep water out of your boat. I shut mine everytime I dock the boat.
          Doug [br]1972 Mako 19 [br]1990 Mako 211[br]Old Saybrook, CT[br]

Comment

Working...
          X