Looking For Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Power

[?] I am looking for a good used motor for a 19' Mako 1977. I am new to the saltwater enviroment does anybody have any sugestions? Like what size what kind?

Panama City Beach Fl
    Panama City Beach Fl

I'm assuming you've got the Model 19B that is referenced on the Mako website. Max HP for that hull is 150hp. If I recall, that hull did not have much deadrise, certainly
    Best bet for finding one is to find a couple of dealers that handle the brand you like, and let them know what you're looking for. With the new 4-strokes, people are trading in 2-strokes that are only a couple of years old.

Good Luck,

Prop Blast
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

One final thing to consider. Spec's for that hull indicate it has a small, 32 gal fuel tank. You want to avoid a V6 engine...

Comment

Yes it is 19B. I basically came across a stripped down to nothing boat. It has a fuel tank a stripped out center console. Other than that everything else was stripped off. So I am looking to put it all back together I thought a good place to start would be the engine seeing how that going to be the most expensive part. But i have never dealt with the engine part before. Due you think a 115 would push it good and as soon as aquired the engine is it hard to mount it. Thanks for your help so far.

Timmy
        Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

115 to 140 would be ideal.

Comment

Im running an xp 150 on my 17 angler. The boat was rated for a 130 or 135 {i cant remember} in 1972. I had a 140 v4 on the boat and thought the performance sucked! I run 3800 rpms and cruise @38mph and I burn less fuel. I suck the fuel when I hammer it but I like the way a v6 idles. You dont have to use all your power but its nice to know you have it. If you power your boat by spec or in my case over power you are not working your motor as hard.

Comment

Timmy,

Before you go diving into an engine, take some time and make sure the transom is dry and solid.

You might want to consider an older or rebuilt 2.0 liter Merc. 135 or 150. I used to run a 1985 Merc 150 and it was a phenomenal engine. At 3600 RPM I would burn only 6.5 gal/hr pushing a 20' Grady CC.

Good luck.
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I have already check the transom its solid and dry. The boat is in great condition except not having a thing on it. It looks like someone started to refurbish it and stopped. Thanks for all the responses it helped alot.

TiMmY
                Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287110679
                  Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

Shameflagg Take the password out of your imagestation file. That will let other people see it. They can't change the file. So it will not get messed up.

Comment

Does it work now?
                      Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

Also does any one no where I could find some teak decking? Also Thanks for all the help!!
                        Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

Yep It works.

Comment

Tim,

If the transom is ok, I'd check the fuel tank as well. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

What do you mean by, "teak decking"? Do you intend to put teak on the deck, or just replace the teak trim that's missing? Trim pieces are hard to come by these days. Marine Connection in Ft. Pierce used to have some, but they've been picked pretty clean. If you're looking for trim, your best bet is to restore what is left (if any) then switch over to startboard bit by bit.

Marine Connection does have a ton of rub rail material. There's lots of teak trim -- you just have to hunt specific pieces.

I would look to buy an engine (Yamaha, Evinrude/Johnson, or Merc) where you have ready access to service support you can trust. To buy a Yamaha, and not have access to easy service is counter productive.

Good Luck,

Prop Blast

Comment

Prop Blast

I mean flooring I am planning going over the old floor with teak. I was looking at this web site here and saw a boat that had it done and it looked really nice. Here the web site I found that had it http://www.worldpanel.com/ I just didn't know if they only sold to manfactures or what I was going to call to nite to find out. It doesn't look very hard to put down but I know how that goes looks can be deseptive.

I am going to couple of stores to night to see what they got in engines and to put bug in their ear or if they come across some thing to give me call.

To get the gas tank out all I have to do is cut the foam away from the tank, right, or is there something holding it on the bottom? I just assumed that it look really good on top and the pressure test worked it would be all right. Well thats enough banter thanks again.

tim
                              Panama City Beach Fl

Comment

Working...
                              X