Mako 23 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 23 Conversion

As the price of gas keeps rising, I can't help but entertain the idea of converting my 1976 23CC outboard to a diesel inboard. I'm about due for a repower. I know they made the 23' with an inboard but I have never seen a conversion. any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated
    OBX[br]Crystal Coast, NC

Better and easier, much easier, to get a more fuel efficient outboard. I cant immagine doing that, I think that there were some big differences between the design of the two boats. I'm not sure about that but someone else may be able to chime in.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I'm not saying it can't be done, but a full inboard would not be the hull I would want to convert to an outboard. An I/O version yes, but not a full inboard. This would be due to the way weight is balanced in the hull and tank placement.

I know the Yanmar makes some small diesel's that would fit the bill. I belive that prop clearance may be a problem. I'm thinking the diesel may need a larger prop as well as shaft. Engine beds will have to be redone too. Fuel tank modified for a return line.

Comment

My dad and i own a Mako 1986 236 CC inboard with a 260 volvo turbo diesel. We use close to 20 gallons on the weekend and the price difference between diesel and gas is unconparible. You got a great idea but may be difficult with the weight dissplacement. And the shaft and prop size shouldn't make a big diffence[8D]

Comment

OBX-

Mercruiser just started making diesel engines under agreement with Cummins. I would definitely look at their motors as well as the Yanmars.

Ed

Comment

I might be mistaken, but I believe the mid to late 70s inboard 23's were a different hull design than the outboards to accommodate the running hear underneath and the difference in center of gravity. They also had a different inner liner to accommodate the engine well under the console, different fuel tank and placement, etc. Trying to make the outboard into an inboard would be some kinda retrofit and probably far more expensive than the savings in fuel you'd experience over a considerable period of time.

That said, I always had a warm spot in my heart for the good ole 236 with a diesel it would be a sweetheart. I believe Merc makes a direct replacement diesel for the gas V8 most of them came with but it's an easy 20 to 25 grand or more package.
            [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. Its not only the fuel economy I am interested in. Diesel's are almost indestructible and will continue running under even the worst of conditions. I think that engine reliability is very important especially 70 miles offshore in the stream. Don't get me wrong, I love my 200 merc. I am just exploring all my options for this fantastic boat.
              OBX[br]Crystal Coast, NC

Comment

you can find a 236 inboard in need of help for +-3000 to convert to diesel and sell your outboard boat

I know they have several candidates at harbor north marina in chesapeake city md they have a collection of older inboard center console projects among other stuff

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jsbriglia

you can find a 236 inboard in need of help for +-3000 to convert to diesel and sell your outboard boat

I know they have several candidates at harbor north marina in chesapeake city md they have a collection of older inboard center console projects among other stuff

The thread is 5 years old [B)]
                  ~Darryl[br]Concord, N.C.[br]\'78 20 175 Opti[br]darryl8n(AT)gmail(DOT)com[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24276[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 78 Mako 20

quote:

Originally posted by jsbriglia

The thread is 5 years old [B)]

Holy resurrection!!!
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL
                    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                    X