steering wheel pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel pull

okay folks...I need your help. I recently purchased a 85 Mako 21...the steering pulls to the right with a fair amount of pressure...not enough to pull it out of your hand but enoungh to make steering the the right uncomfortable.

Motor is an older 85 Johnson 175

No hydraulic steering

I tried adjusting the motor tab once...on a boat pulling to the right I am assuming you move the tab to the left?

Can anyone shed light as to what may be happening...will hydraulic steering help....will trim tabs help...has anyone had a similar difficulty?

THANKS!!!

MMNuts.....
    1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

i had the same problem on my 20' with a 200 on it. I put in the hydraulic steering and adjusted the tab slightly and i now have absolutely no pull whatsoever

Comment

thanks scooter...In my post I meant to say it is difficult steering to the left!! the boat is puling to the right.

Scooter...why does the hydraulic steering help? Did you also notice that (before hydraulic) your boat canted to the left because you have to pull the steering to the left...the boat just will not level off when on plane.

Please let me know...THANKS!

Comment

There is no need to go to out and spend a fortune for hydraulic stearing. I run 2 boats with hydraulic steering but when I changed my stearing last season I went with the Teleflex 4.3 NFB system. This system is made for high horsepower. It is 4.3 turns lock to lock which makes turning the wheel with my 225 just about as easy as it would be if it were hydraulic. The NFB stands for no feed back which means you wont have to fight with the wheel. You can easily install this system yourself for about $300. I am very happy with it and see no reason to go with hydraulic today unless you are dealing with dual motors. Unless you have tried this system it is hard to believe that a mechanical steering system can work this well. The original system that came with the boat was a real bittch to stear for the same reasons you mentioned. It was a Teleflex Big T system.

Comment

This may help a little, or a lot. Trim the motor up and down while up on plane until you find the point where you are "trimmed out". At that point you should not experience any pull to either side as long as the tab is adjusted correctly. The wheel will feel loose to you.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
          1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

Flounder has it correct - trim the motor (most likely up) and it will become neutral. Let us know if this helps.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

quote:

...on a boat pulling to the right I am assuming you move the tab to the left?

No. If it pulls right, move the tab right. Remember if you tilt the tab one way the force of water moves it the other thereby moving the motor away. To counter-act a right pull, move the tab to the right and it will move the motor left or counter the pull of the spinning prop.

I hope this helps.

-Pat.
              18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

i've never had any experience with other system being mentioned here.....i put the hydraulic on my 20 after using a friends 21' with the hydraulic and loving it........i also found that with the cable steering and the 200 horsepower motor on the boat the hydraulic was the best because of the amount of people that could use it. With the cable steering if i took my hand off the wheel while cruising the boat would pretty much do a tight circle to the left......

Comment

When you are driving my Mako 224 with the Teleflex 4.3 NFB system it is hard to tell that it is not a hydraulic system, it is really that easy to stear. You can take your hands off of the wheel and the wheel stays put.

Comment

mako224- if its that good i'll def have to look into it next time......i really didnt do any research about the different steerings knowing that i wanted the hydraulic

Comment

Does the NFB system keep the motor straight in the event of a breakage? I had a cable break on my old 17 whaler and the boat did an immediate right turn. Fortunately I was just power up and had my hand on the throttle and no one was thrown out.

I'm not sure how the manufactures can still be allowed to sell this type of system since they are so unsafe.
                      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                      1985 Mako 20c - sold
                      Fort Walton Beach, FL
                      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Standard rotation engines usually need the tab swung to starboard. (The trailing edge of the anode is off to the starboard) I say usually because an imperfect hull can require a port adjustment, although I've never seen it. There are marks stamped on the lower units of most larger engines that actually give the offset based on the casting of that particular foot, but its more for the hydrodynamics of the foot and doesn't take into account for the prop torque.

NFB cable steering is sharp for the first season or two, but then the cable and gearbox start to wear and the steering feels like [email protected] A seastar hydraulic setup is an investment that will last for years and years.JMHO
                        \'87 261 200 yamis[br]\'86 Actioncraft 130 yami[br]Palm Harbor,Fl

Comment

I redid my stearing on my '73 22 with the teleflex seastar hyd in 1989 when I repowered to a 225 and what a difference from the old teleflex Big T (which I had to cut off and replace about ever 2 years because it rusted solid over the new england winters up here in CT). Whith the Hyd I can let go of the wheel and the boat goes in the direction that it was going until you turn the wheel again. My system is 15 years old now and have had basically no trouble with it. From the normal maintance points I have needed to change the end seals once and did have a center seal go over one winter (still don't know what happened there) but one of the guys at the teleflex factory service center sent me a seal and I put it in myself in about 30 minutes. And like everything else on a boat if you want it to work when you need it, I do take the whole hyd unit off the motor about every 3 years and give it a good cleaning and regreasing. The hyd lines are sill fine shape and the helm station is in the same shape as when I installed it. This Hyd system works great and would not own another boat without it!

Mike

Mike
                          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

okay...here is the report...trim tab was okay...steering cable was in the incorrect hole in the motor arm...and, the motor is a 25" Johnson that I am being told, is too long for this 21B Mako??????

The report is that the motor is "dragging' underneath the boat becasue it is too long.

Comments????? Please!!! Ring, what is the correct shaft length for the 1985 21B ???? Thanks.

Comment

It should be a 20" shaft...my 1983 20' is a 20" shaft and "yes", your cavitation plate is going to be "way" underwater.
                              24\' Scout w/ 225HP[br]20\' Mako w/ 200HP[br]17\' Bristol Skiff w/ 40HP [br]14\' Alumacraft w/ 15HP[br]MT Pleasant, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X