Thru Bolting in PVC Cored Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thru Bolting in PVC Cored Panels

The pilotholes were already in the bottom of the panel where I moched up the ladders/supports for the hardtop. I used the little portable Drill Press [DP] to drill a 3/16in hole all the way thru the panel and keep it stirght. I then used a 1in holesaw to drill thru the fiberglass on the top side. After that I poped the plug out of the hole. I then used a 1in Fostner bit in the DP to clean the hole up. It has a drill stop on it to keep from going into the lower fiberglass. The Fostner bit would have been dulled fast, going the the top fiberglass. The holes will be filled with a 2part Bonding Epoxy. I had some 3M 2 part bonding putty given to me to try and on the test piece I didn't like the way that it was as thick of mixture. This caused it not to slump to the bottom of the hole very well. I kinda looked and smelled like JB Weld, but has a longer pot life. [45min] The 2 part I will use is FGCI's Bonding Putty. The holes will be redrilled thru the putty and a alum backing plate will go on the topside.

Your gettin there. I love watching your progress. Keep those pics coming!
    Sonny[br][br]1962 16\' Boston Whaler Nauset[br]\"If peope concentrated on the important things in life there would be a severe shortage of fishing poles.\"[br]Mobile, Alabama

Comment

Thanks Sonny. I'm almost ready to reprime this thing with 545 Awlgrip. Then MORE sanding. Oh my aching hands and arms.[]

Comment

That hole saw is way fancier then anything I have. []

It looks like the pics were taken from the top and underside of your hard top? I'm a little confused as why you are drilling the holes and then filling them with epoxy afterwards? Can you elaborate?

Strick
        Oakley, California

Comment

Sure. All the pix's were taken from the TOP of the hardtop. I have a whole set of the Fostners bits. They are cheap from Harbor Freight.

The setup was done to keep the core from crushing where it will be thru bolted. The ladders/supports for the hardtop have plate's welded to them that go up aginst the hardtop from the underside. There are matching plate's that will go on the topside. 4- 1/4in bolts will go thru the top plate, then thru the hardtop and thru the bottom plate. It will be bedded with 4200. As you touque up on those bolts it can cruch a PVC cored panel. The filler will stop that. It's another way of doing it, as compared to installing a tube in the core. The putty gives a larger surface area than a tube.

There will be a lot of forces going on up there. Remember a fold down Crows nest will be mounted up there some day. The aft section will be welded to some of the plates on the topside. I will have to add some more holes, done the same way on the foward side of the hardtop, but I have no ides where they will fall right now. It will be a design as you go thing.

Comment

Ok got it. Good thinking as I would have never thought of that set up. I finally found a place to make the tower for my hard top. It's scheduled for July 6th to start work.

Strick
            Oakley, California

Comment

Working...
            X