Coal Tar Epoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coal Tar Epoxy

To any of you guys doing fuel tank replacements onyour boats... The smallest quantity of coal tar epoxy I can come up with is a 5 gallon kit. Naturally I don't need that much.

What I am going to do is buy the 5 gallon kit and hopefully any of you who need a quart or 2 quarts of the stuff can contact me and I'll sell it to you for exactly what I paid for it +postage (we'll figure out how much it is by the smaller quantities) and I'll mail it out to you. I can get empty paint cans from the ACE hardware store in my neighborhood.

Let me know if you will be needing any of the product. I'll have a good idea of the coverage of the stuff after I coat a 65 gallon tank this weekend.

Ed
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

That's funny I was just thinking about that today, and was hoping that it came in 1 quart amounts. Where are you buying it from? If the 5gal situation is all we can come up with I will probably do that.

By the way I cut out all of my stringers today. That was fun. One good thing is that there is NO flex in that hull with them removed.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Yeah, I ordered it. Its a 5 gallon kit (4 gals base and 1 gal catalyst). I'll be happy to split it up and send some to you when you are ready.

You out of school for a while... Sounds like you have time to work on the boat. Send me some pixs of the stringers.

Comment

Where are you buying it from? Have you tried somewhere else? I only say that because the paint store where I have bought some before would sell it as 1 gallon base and 1 quart catalyst.
        [br]Keys to Life:[br]Life is all about ass; you\'re either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.[br]www.kjndiver.org[br]Orange, TX / Lake Charles, LA

Comment

I'm out for another week. Then I start a summer class. I start work next month. So, I have time to do some work on the boat finally. Those stringers and bulk heads must have weighed over 300#s the way they were waterlogged. I am in the process of grinding all that down. I'll take some pix, although its not much to look at.

What did that coal tar epoxy set you back and where did you get it from?
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

The 5 gal kit was about $150 from FGCI. I ordered it the other day. There was another $20 charge thrown in for shipping the hazardous materials. Hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow. I also ordered the primer.. Awlgrip 30Y94, but I got that in a 2 qt. kit.

Comment

Who did you end up getting the primer from?

Comment

Jamestown Distributors. It was about $75 after shipping.

Comment

I didn't think that you needed primer before that coal tar.

I'll probably be up for buying a small quantity from you. 5 gals is a hell of alot of that stuff! Let me know.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I would also be very interested in getting a couple quarts from you. My tank isn't ready to go in yet, but I can't see any reason not to epoxy it now.....
                    James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

Thats fine, just let me know when your ready.

Comment

Ringleader i am in the process of replacing my tank and was wondering if you had any coal tar epoxy left that you wanted to sell? let me know as i am ordering my 70 gal replacement tank tomorrow.[]

thanks
                        3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

Ringleader, what was the brand and model number you ordered?????
                          Alabat - Cajun for \"Hey over there\"[br]1973 - 17 Mako Angler 115HP Suzuki[br]Houma, Louisiana[br]Home of the best Red fishing in the world

Comment

Eddie,

I did a search on Google for coal tar epoxy and found several that would sell by the gallon.

Here is Rust-Oleum's gallon link:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...t_id=123&SBL=2

Avaliable in your favorite color as long as it's black.

Hope this helps you guys.
                            Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Another excellent Epoxy product to use is: POR 15...Two coats on clean surface and ain't nothn' gettn' in! Custom street-rod & custom car builders also use it extensively, to paint their frames, etc...because it looks like it was sprayed on, but it is applied with a brush. Do a search. Ed[]

Comment

Working...
                              X