pressure test for fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure test for fuel tank

I have a gas smell that will not go away[xx(]. In my '76 25' I have 2 tanks, the rear tank pick-up pipe had come loose from the tank at the weld. I had it shipped from NJ and I assumed (and hoped) that gas had spilled out during shipping. The trailer that it came on had no suspention. I used that epoxy stuff that is like Play Dough to seal up the void, realizing that it would be a temporary fix. I hoped that it would do the trick but there is still a strong smell in the console and some in the bilge. I cannot see or smell any gas in the bilge water or any where else. Can the gas smell be in the foam from the shipping?(about 2 months ago and it has been a yard yacht from the time that I got it). I guess that the next step would be doing a pressure test. If anyone has comments or suggestions I would appreciate it[8D]
    1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Well I would pull the hose's and seal the tank up. Don't put any more than 3lbs preasure on the tank. By disconnecting the hose's/line's you will eleminate them out of the equasion.

Comment

Should I take the gas out, I hate the taste of gas[xx(]. what do you use to add pressure and what type of guage should I use? thanks for the help....
      1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Comment

Your going to need a low preasure guage. Something that has a dial and tops out at say 25lbs. This way the preasure that you put in the tank can be adjusted very precise. Your going to need an air compressor and a shutoff valve. It's only 3lbs, but a bunch of volume.

You can cap off the fill & vent necks. Use the fuel line out to do your hook up for guage and valve.

Comment

I just remembered.[]

Look around Lowes or Home Depot and in the plumbing dept you will find rubber freeze plugs. Find one that will fit inside the fill tube. It will have a wingnut on it to make it expand. On the vent fitting. Go to the auto parts store. The should have a rubber cap the will close off heater hoses ports on a waterpump for a car. Slip that over the outside of the vent tube and put a hose clamp on it. Measure the outside before you go to buy one. They come in diffrent sizes.

Comment

hey Warthog thanks for the advice. I think that I will have to Break Out Another Thousand and have a new tank made [:0]

Comment

Working...
            X