Trim Tab Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Tab Painting

New forum member with an '88 231 checking in. I keep my boat in the water from early June to late September and my trim tabs get over taken by nasty growth. Before I put it in this year, I'd like to add

a zinc to each tab and then paint the rest of the tab with anti-fouling paint. I use Interlux ACT for bottom paint and want to try it on the tabs.

Anyone have any tips on keeping the crud off trim tabs ??

Chris
    Cataumet, MA[br]1988 Mako 231

ACT will eat your tabs. Don't use it on them. You need to use Tri-Lux. Traditional bottom paints will create electrolosis when put on metal surfaces. Tri-Lux will not do this.

Comment

Most bottom paints don't stay on metal tabs very well, but my friends at Interlux gave me a solution. I was putting a coat of their Interprotect barrior coat paint (2-part epoxy) on the bottom before bottom painting so they suggested I do a light sand on the bar metal and apply a coat of to them, also. Let that one dry and then apply another light coat and when it gets tacky, only aboutu 20 to 30 minutes, put on the first coat of bottom paint. Let it dry and add a second. It should adhere to the tabs and if you use a good paint (I prefer Micron CSC) it should last two to three years.

Definitely add zincs to the tabs. I put masking tape where the zinc goes, screw the zinc lightly in place over the tape and use a blade to cut around the outside of the zinc for a perfect tape job before painting. When the painting is done just lift the tap and the zinc is in complete contact with the stainless steel tab.
      [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, hope to tackle it this week.
        Cataumet, MA[br]1988 Mako 231

Comment

Another option is to look at E-Paint. It is an ablative paint that is less toxic than traditional bottom paints and it is also great for metal surfaces because doesn't contain tin or copper. A close friend has a 42' aluminum sailboat which has been the test boat for the product for several years, he loves it, especially since it does not build up and is very easy to completely remove down the road, especially if you apply it without the expoxy undercoat which is not required.

Also, since you are on the Cape it is a local company in East Falmouth, MA.

Here is the link:

http://www.epaint.net/index.html

HD

Comment

Working...
          X