1983 21b fuel tank problem...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 21b fuel tank problem...help

I have a 1983 21b mako.I seem to have an obstruction in the flow of fuel from the tank. I was hoping someone was familiar with the setup of the pickup tube in this boat. My pickup is under the console hatch.I am trying to determine wether the pickup is a welded integral part of the tank and wether it bends 90 degrees toward the back of the boat. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
    mm

Not sure about your tank. Mine went down into the tank at the front and a tube was welded in that went to the back.

I cut the tank open with a few 2in holes from a holesaw to see how it was built. Of corse this tank will not be used again. It had pinholes in the bottom and when the floor was replaced before they wraped the tank in fiberglass mat and reinstalled it. Dumb! But the guy I bought the boat from was not the brightest light buld in the pack.

Comment

I had a problem with my 21. I kept having fuel pick up problems. I would loose flow to my water seperating fuel filter, then I had flow. Of course, the problem showed up as I was goung through a hurricane protection lock on Bayou Beinvinue and the MRGO, when the tide was really ripping. The problen acted as if I had a blockage in the line. My problem was that I had a hole in my pick up tube above the level of the fuel, causing air to get into the line. I was able to unscrew the pick-up tube under the center console, and braze a

length of brass tubing inside the existing tube. This SOLVED my fuel problem. I have not had a problem with the reduction of tube size. I'm running a Suzuki 225.

Good luck>

Seasitter
      Seasitter

Comment

thanks for the replies. When I unscrewed the right angle fitting that goes to the pickup tube, only the fitting came out so I'm assuming that my pickup tube is welded inside the tank. My tank is the original tank from 1983 and when you look inside through the sender hole it looks to be very clean. My obstruction came when I filled the tank the last time out. I'm assuming that my pickup tube bends towards the back of the boat but I'm not sure. There is really no way to visualize that tube. I tried running a cable into it hoping to knock off the screen or the obstruction but after the cable bent around the 90 bend it just went back about 7 feet with no resistance,.
        mm

Comment

Working...
        X