How much fuel does your Mako burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much fuel does your Mako burn?

I went out yesterday to try and get some nm/g numbers from my Navman and found the most fuel efficient running at 30 mph which produced 3 nm/g. Slowing down to about 23-24 mph, which is a nice cruising speed dropped my efficiency down to about 2.3 nm/g. I've always known that 70-75% power is the most fuel efficient, but the differences were more than I thought.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

I get about 1.5 mpg across the board, within fractions, except at trolling speeds where they suck fuel

Usually run at 4000 rpm, giving me 29.5+ knots at 20 gph, 3500 rpm burns about 12-13 gph at 24 knots
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I average about 1 mpg. Of course if I had newer engines I could greatly increase the range. I've got a pair of 1992 150 Johnsons pushing my 1976 25'. At almost $2.00 it's gonna be an expensive summer. Wonder what they're getting for gas in Bimini these days??

Tom
      Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

Running a Mako 224 powered with a Yamaha F225 with a 14.5x17 prop, T-top, and bottom paint I get just over 3mpg at "cruise". Running at 4,000 RPMs I burn 10 GPH and run 31MPH.
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I guess my 1985 Evinrude 150 carb isn't that bad. At 3 nm/g I'm burning about 9 gal/hr. I'd like to hear what some more of the four stroke guys are getting.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

running a 1990 yamaha 225, which incidently is running on only 5 cyl. (i think the clown that rebuilt it before i bought it broke a reed plate. too lazy to check. motor runs too good). averaging just about 1.5 mpg with full load.
            Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

'88 21B. '92 Johnson 225. With full tank of gas, two guys, loaded with ice and fishing stuff, bait well full.

4500 RPM, 14.0 GPH, 32 MPH Cruise. 2.28 MPG

Comment

I have to ask....why do you guys even bother with mph and not knots?? For a myriad of reasons, it just doesnt make sense. do you run your lorans/gps on statute miles as well? I mean....every minute is a (nautical) mile....so looking at a chart or whatever, I never even considered caring how many statute miles per hour my boat goes.

Just curious.
                1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Running a 224 with a 200hp HPDI and cruizing at 38-4g's I burn about 8gph and run about 24kt's. Spinning a small prop 15x15 so I dont have a real high top speed 36-38 max. I go offshore alot and I dont go much faster than 20-24. The bottom is also painted and I've got a T-top on it now. Got a little over 300mi range. Hope this helps. Greenno

Comment

Im getting about 3nm/g @4000 rpm. I run a 150 on my 72 17'. I was getting less with the 140 before I put on the xp.

Comment

Most of us don't think well in knots. If you told me that your MAko topped out at 43. I'd say great. Sounds slow. Until I break out my calculator and multiply by 1.16. Then I'd immediately say, your boat does 50! Thats what I thought it was supposed to do... about 50. I don't know, I just don't think well in kts unless I have a calculator in hand. 50 just sounds better than 43. My GPS is (was... it may not work anymore) set to statuate miles. I did just fine that way. The only charts I use are block and rig charts. I punch in the numbers and the little arrow tells me which way to go.

Before my motor got to its new home onthe garage floor, my Mako 21 would burn about 14gph @ 4400 RPM making about 35 MPH.
                      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

On my 78 25', twin 155 HP old (1988) Evinrudes gave us 1 nm per gallon. Repowered with 140 Susuki four stokes and went to 1.5 nm per gallon. Both results are with a fully loaded boat on off shore runs.

The big improvement is drift fishing - idleing. Fished the end of August through November inshore most every weekend two days and burned 78 gallons for the entire period. Say 20 days of fishing plus or minus. Thats 4 gallons a day. Used to take 20 to 25 gallons per day for the same trip.
                        Ole Joe
                        Just floundering around
                        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                        1978 Mako 25

Comment

Flounder,

I would have guessed your fuel efficiency would have improved much more with the 4 strokes. I've considered those suzukis..how do they push the boat?

Tom
                          Tom[br]Pompano Beach, Florida[br]1976 25\' Mako[br]

Comment

I run a 79 23.6 cc with a 250hpdi yami on a bracket. With a full tank and crew the avg. stats at cruise are 3600rpm, 32mph, 10gph. Better numbers in glassy conditions, worse when seas are above 2ft- great times regardless.

Comment

tsawyer,

I had expected better mileage also. I need to run 4000 to 4200 for 20 to 22 knots. If I run 3800 you can feel that she's at optimum, but we only running 18 knots. I believe I'm simply running above optimum and paying the price for it. I don't have fuel scan equipment so it's just my seat of the pants analysis. But, you know, you can feel when she's trimmed and the motors are working the most efficient. My logs show a range of 1.4 nm to 1.6 nm per gallon over the first four trips with the Susukis. They were 30 and 45 mile offshore chunking trips. Therefore, run out, shut down, run in, and fill up.

You and I have the first 25' hull design. It struck me when you posted the 1 nm figure that you I have the exact same experience data on the 150 hp twins. I almost said something about it at that time. Have you noticed that the 254 guys almost always claim 1 1/2 to 2 miles per gallon with 150s and 175s? Most be something to it. Don't know what the change was though.
                              Ole Joe
                              Just floundering around
                              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                              X