SHOULD I BUY ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOULD I BUY ?

I CURRENTLY OWN A 78 MAKO CC WITH A 20001 YAMAHA. I BOUGHT THE BOAT ROUGH BUT REFININSHED IT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. I DIVE OFTEN AND HAVE HAD MANY CLOSE CALLS WITH WATER COMING OVER THE TRANSOM. IN ADDITION I LIKE THE ROOM IN THE 23 CC. I FOUND A 23 IN BOARD WITH FULL TRANSOM. EVERYTHHING IS ORIGINAL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO STEERING WHEEL. IT IS A ONE OWNER. I AM THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING AND REPOWERING WITH AN OUT BOARD AND BRAKET. THIS BOAT HAS NO FISH BOXES IN BACK AND SEEMS TO HAVE TONS OF ROOM. ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY THOUGHT PROCESS. ANY ISSUES REPOWERING WITH AN OUTBOARD. AM I NUTS FOR CONSIDERING THIS. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS. I CAME ACROSS THIS SITE THE OTHER DAY AND READ ALOT OF YOUR COMMENTS. PRETTY GOOD STUFF.

LET ME KNOW A.S.A.P I DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS THING.

What year is this 23' Mako? Is it factory full tranom. If so I'd jump on it if the price is fair.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

If you're main focus is on diving, get the boat, leave the inboard in place and put a full-width swim platform on it. That will give you a tremendous amount of space. The inboard won't be as fast, but the low center of gravity and shallow deadrise will make for one hell of a steady boat at anchor or on the drift.

I would also tend to think the ride would suffer on that particular hull by pulling the inboard and shifting all that weight to the stern. Tabs can only help so much.

But I'm a big inboard fan. I'm dying to get my hands on one of those 25' single inboard Gradys from the early 80's. []
      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I didn't read the part about the inboard... I skimmed it too fast. Thats a tough call. It'll be a very spacious and stable boat, but will give some on the ride. You could find a 1980's Mako 23 and raise the transom and add a bracket as well. It'll have a bit more V at the transom as well.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

could you explain your close call a bit better? Was it water entering the bilge too fast? elaborate please.

Comment

gw204 has it right. That's a perfect dive boat with a swim platform. Plus, the addition of the platform gives you more room than you'll end up with after all the modifications. You're already there, full transom included.

That boat is a true classic. Please don't cut it up. Buy it and keep it up. You'll never lose a penny.
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
            1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

The boat is 100% origingal. Full transom no modifications. Even the steering wheel is original. It is pretty damn cool. I am in Tampa Florida. I live on Tampa Bay. The water here gets real skinny. Most people have jack plates etcc. This is the reason for adding the outboard. Is my thinking correct ? I currently have a 78 I refinished. It is a 22ft. I had the itch to get a 23 and came across this. The close call I referenced came from watter coming over the back when to much wait is on the back end and divers getting in and out etc. Rough water coming over the back getting in the hull and the bilge not pumping it out fast enough. I thought about adding a second bilge or bigger bilge. I noticed that many makos have some sort of modification to assist with this problem. Sorry I'm rambling. What should I pay for the 23 in question? What could I sell my redone 78 for with out the motor? I have someone who want to buy it now which is another reason for my questions. What can I do with the space in the 23 where the inboard motor is ? You guys are awsome. I came across this sight on accident. Let me know what you think and I'll get some pictures to send soon. I'm new at this whole on line talk stuff. Thanks David. Any negatives to buying the 23??

Comment

Buy a bigger outboard! Don't cut up that boat to make it an outboard.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
                1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

you dont have the shallow water to deal with in maryland. How much does an inboard draft ?

Comment

If draft is a major consideration the 23 inboard simply isn't the boat to buy. Converting it to outboard is a big job and that hull was designed specifically for the inboard application. It is a damn fine ride just the way it is, but it probably draws about 2-1/2 feet of water with the propshaft, prop and rudder.

You'd be better off with an older modified vee 23 outboard model. They had a pretty flat bottom at the transom, didn't draw much water, rode very flat and stable at anchor and were pretty common. I would imagine you could find one in Florida somewhere and steal it.
                    [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

They are probably right. I have heard of inboard to outboard conversions, and know a guy in Tampa who did that to a 24' Morgan, but it would probably be better to convert the outboard model to a full transom. I have an old 23 and it is a great hull for the west coast (of FL) Rides well in chop and draws about 12". I like it better than the old 222 Aquasports that the Tampa area loves and constantly refurbishes.
                      1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DPGONZALEZJR

you dont have the shallow water to deal with in maryland.

You've never boated in the Chesapeake, have you? [8)]
                        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

The transom on an inboard boat doesn't have to support any weight. So to beef it up for an outboard, you looking at major surgery, probably just as much, if not more than to build up your current 22 to accomodate a bracket.

Again, I say pass and leave it to someone who will keep it as the classic it currently is. Inboard center consoles are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Don't do it.
                          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

The boat I have been discussing is an inboard/outboard not an inboard. Sorry for the bad info. I introduced a friend to this website and he pointed out the mistake. I believe this changes things. This hull should be similar to the outboard hull correct?

Is under $6000.00 a good buy or is that a stupid question ? All of your input has been helpful. By the way I have boated in the Chesapeake. I lived in Annapolis for a little over a year. Has anyone boated Tampa Bay ? I need to pull the trigger on this boat. Feed me some info. Thanks, David

Comment

YES! A full inboard is much diffrent than an I/O.

Comment

Working...
                              X