out with the old, in with the new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out with the old, in with the new

I have taken out all of the old wireing, swithes and guages. I am not all that familiar with wireing and and fuses and need some advice. I do not know the difference between SPDT and DPDT, what kind of wire (guage) and recomended connectors. I am planning to use the ATO type fuses and need to know what accesories should go to witch fuse and how many amps. Below I have a list of switched and non switched accesories, I know that it is alot to ask, but if anyone can let me know which type switch(pole/throw)and any other advice. I would really appreciate it.....

Fuse # Switched Acc. Switch # Style Pole / Throw

Running lights 1 Contura

Anchor light 2 Contura

Courtesy lights 3 Contura

Spreader (front)4 Contura

Spreader (rear) 5 Contura

Bilge (on) 6 Contura

Bilge (auto) 6 Contura

Fresh wash 7 Contura

Raw wash 8 Contura

Bait well 9 Contura

Horn 10 Contura

Fused Acc.

FishDepth finder

Stereo ( T top )

VHF ( T top )

GPS

12 V plug

12 V plug

Rear Acc.

Acc 1

Acc 2
    1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Carpetdiem - What you asking is enough to fill a book - infact several books and I can see why 47 people to this point have looked at your question but none have wanted to give you any info. The first book would be all about DC (direct current) wiring and the second would be about rigging boats. The DC wiring book you can buy (or use a high school / colaege DC Circuits textbook) but the rigging part is experience, and that is better left up to someone who has been through it before on other craft of the same size and use. So. unless your a very technical type and a quick learner, my advice would be to find someone local ( a friend etc. that would be willing to help you) that has been through this before - preferably a electrical ( or mechnaical) engineer type. They would know how to do all the calculations that are needed for the amprage draws for each circuit, circuit layouts, how to pick and size the wire that would be needed, the fuze(s) for each of the circuits, the types of switches needed and what to hook up to them, and how to run & secure the wiring down. Also, if the proper parts are not used (marine grade wire etc.) and the wire and fuzes are not sized properly you can bet on a fire caused by a short circuit or wires that get crossed and there is nothing that burns faster and hotter than fiberglass. And don't expect to get away cheep for this job either. If done properly for all you described it will probably (even by a do it yourselfer) will run you 3 to 4 hundred bucks for just the parts. This is not something to fool around with if you are not absolutly sure of what you are doing. Sorry for the bad news but hope this helps get you going in the correct direction.

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Forget fuses....put the push-type circuit breakers in. If something pops when you really really really need it, you can hold that button in till things start smoking if need be. You'd be out of fuses by then.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Mike and Makorider, Thanks for the advice. I have talked to alot of my boat buddies and you know the ole saying "opinions are like....." My brother has done this stuff before and he is coming back in to town this weekend and we are going go over everything...thanks again.
        1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Comment

I'll scan the 25 wiring harness diagram for you tomorrow and post it for you tomorrow night. The 25' Owners Manual is available to you from the Home page, but I don't see the harness in there. I thought it was.

classic73mako's advice is good. Make sure you do it right. A comprehensive book is "Boatowner's Illustrated Handbook of Wiring" by Charlie Wing. A McGraw Hill book. I used it when I re-wired my 25' 8 or 9 years ago. There are probably newer and better books available, but that is a title you can start with.

First you've got to make up a diagram. It's really not that hard and it makes you think out what and how your setting up your curcuits. Look at the other diagrams that are shown in the 25' owner's Manual. You can structure yours the same way. Once you have your diagram, you'll know where your terminal strips, breakers, and accesories are going. You'll also be able to figure out and group you wire runs for a neat installation.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
          1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

carpetdiem,

Check your e-mail. The Harness ended up being scanned as a pdf document which I have mailed to you.
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
            1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

Working...
            X