how come so many rebuilt transoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how come so many rebuilt transoms?

it seems to dominate the discussion here? Are there inherent flaws in the design? Is it just me and my lack of knowledge of boats in general? are there similar "weak links" in other boat makers? the 17 food mako i'm looking at has had several replacement motors at different times.... the most recent a 115 yamaha two stroke... is this a warning sign?

thanks in advance for the replies.

If we look at the big picture......there are only a handful of owners on this site. I have had 2 Makos, my brother 2, my nephew 2. To my knowledge, none have had any transom problems. A lot of the transon talk on here ois from folks modifying or taking on a project boat to start with.

Comment

i can tell you why so many transoms.it seems to me that there are people that will drill holes in transom to mount transducers

,trim tabs etc.but when they become loose they just drill more holes above them,then they dont fill in the holes or just squirt some silicone in them.and then someone pokes around under the bottom paint and finds twelve holes in transom with old caulking and covered with bottom paint.some people just use it and lose it to the next person.i've spent the better part of 5 weekends drying out wood and trying to repair it as best as possible.i know i was going to do a transom soon,but it just pisses me off the way people will rip others off.i've got more to say on this subject but i'll end it here now.seems this could be a kick ass!!!business.i couldn't even get somebody to look at it.too busy!!!!!they said.so i did it myself.came out pretty good.
      CATCH22-GARY shark river n.j.

Comment

I bought my 1981 21 in 1996, and it had a stainless plate over the transom to keep it from continuing to deteriorate. Well, in the summer of 2002, she got a brand new one and a set of trim tabs. I got a great price on the boat as a result and got 6 seasons out of her before I got out the wallet for the transom.

Did the trim tabs and transom make a difference? You bet they did! New T-top is next.
        Bill Moore[br]Eden, North Carolina[br]\'81 Mako 21 Center Console

Comment

First of all you're on a website that specializes in discussions about repairs and modifications of classic boats, some dating back to the '60's. Secondly, over the years Mako has had it ups and downs with ownership and assembly line help and any time you put a boat in the water for years on end if there are even minor imperfections in the glass or even the gelcoat water will find a way in. My '89 231cc is a perfect example. It had rot in the very bottom of the transom near the keel. When it was being redone the problem was found to be porosity, not in the outside glass, but in the glass on the bilge side. It was poor laid up and not well painted and after 15 years of 225 horsepower pounding the waves and flexing the assembly it developed pinholes and water got in.

The glass guy doing the job found other flaws in the transom, like places where there simply wasn't any wood! Just loaded up with filler. Once the job is done I will post photos of what was found and how it was replaced. The guy did a first rate job and was meticulous and reasonably priced.

Interesting thing. During my discussion with him, he's an older guy who has been doing glass work for over 35 years, I asked him what brand boat he does the most transom replacements to. The answer sort of surprised me because it is a brand recognized for quality construction. His answer was Grady-Whites.

He's also been showing me some stuff from other brands of boats he is repairing that are much newer than mine and the way some of the companies have been putting boats together is downright disgraceful if not scary.

He made an interesting comment the other day when he had the transom completely removed. He said the thickness of the glass in the sides and bottom of the hull was extraordinary and he was impressed with how heavy the lay up of the hull was. So even though the crew that built my boat screwed up the transom they apparently did a bang up job on the rest of the hull.
          [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

Thank you for that post Gary. Quite a suprise to hear the frequency of Grady White repair. But, like you say, any number of factors effect the quality of the product during the manufacturing process.

My 25 is a 1978. Every time I cut through one of the solid lay up areas I am suprised at both the density and the thickness. Very reassuring. That being said, there are times when I'm working in areas and see voids and bad workmanship. I guess the old cliche applies, "Nothing is perfect".
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
            1978 Mako 25

Comment

Ditto on what flounder said..... []
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

You hear a lot here about rebuilt transoms because most boats built pre-'95-ish(?) used wood in the transoms. And as we know, water eventually gets into any boat, and wood eventually rots. Its only in the last few years that composite materials are being used more commonly.

You hear a lot about transom replacements on Mako's, Grady's, SeaCraft and other QUALITY names because these boats were built tough and last long enough to warrant replacing the transom once it goes. To my knowledge, you do NOT hear a lot about transom replacement on Bayliners and the like because such boats were not built to the same quality, and do not last as long.
                NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

Working...
                X