1983 Mako 224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Mako 224

I am looking at a 1983 Mako 224 with a 1998 Mariner 225 EFI Offshore motor. I am seriously thinking about purchasing this boat. The asking price is $15,000.00, but I was able to get the owner of the boat to go as low as $12,500.00. Is this a good boat for that year it was built and what about the engine (Mariner 225 EFI). I do not see many mariner engines that much any more. The boat is in very good shape other than the Tachometer and trim gauges are inoperative.

What do you all think about my unique situation.

[email protected]
    Melvin R. Sprauve

If the boat is solid, everything works, got some electronics, if the motor checks OK, compression, electrics, lower unit, and a good trailer.....it will be a fine boat at a good price.

Comment

I will be taking the boat for a sea trial soon depending on weather conditions. I will perform a compresion test on the engine. This boat has a GPS, fish finder and a VHF radio. I will keep you posted on the outcome of the engine compression test and the sea trial. Thanks for your input and suggestions.
      Melvin R. Sprauve

Comment

I've got an '83 Mako 244. Originally powered with a Evinrude 225; now I've got a Yamaha F225 -- great boat.

If you've got specific questions, email me at [email protected]
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

You'll be happy with the boat. I bought the same model and year last april for about 10k and I went to florida to pick it up.It had a 90' johnson 200hp that ran great but I got about 1.25mpg with a 112g fuel tank my range was limeted. So I listened on this site to the advice of others on making a choice to repower. I went with a 04 yamaha 200hpdi beacause of the weight issue verses a four-stroke and for me it was the best all around. I get a little over 3mpg on average, full tank ,2 people 60mi out, 60mi in and a boatload of fish.Sold the old motor for 1500.00 put on a nice T-Top and updated the electronics to my liking and havent had any worries so far. One thing youl learn is your feet will be wet with the notched transom and people will tell you to enclose it and put a bracket on the back but all you got to do is put to use a couple of old cutting boards back against the inside back rail and bolt them through but leave enough room for the motor to turn and tilt and it works perfect. The boat will offer its back quarter to oncomming seas along with the wind so you need some sort of protection. good luck greenno

Comment

Working...
          X