mako 17 v__whaler montauk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mako 17 v__whaler montauk.

are these comparable boats. I have read some threads here that make me doubt the bilge cover on the mako. is this not as much an issue as the 20 or the 21?

thanks for the replies.

I plan to use this boat in SF bay and bodega bay and near shore fishing on good days.

is this realistic?

Having owned a 17 for many years, and spent enought time on a BW to comment, this is my take:

The mako is heavier. The BW will do better in a real short wind chop, but the mako will ride better in bigger stuff. Much more storage on the mako.

As far as bilge plate...on my '73, bilge acess was nothing more than a square hatch that dropped into a lipped recession. So no, it was not sealed at all. That said, it was never really an issue. I took plenty of boat wakes over the notch while drifting for fluke, water would drain into the bilge and be pumped out. Never enough to even think twice about. If your that concerned about it, you could install a locking watertight plate. I dont really think its worth it.

In the mid 80s maybe, mako changed the design of the 17. They raised the freeboard and increased fuel capacity. Though weight was listed as the same, I dont believe it, they had to be heavier and with the extra fuel I would assume they ride better.

We were in the same spot when we bought the boat...BW or Mako? I think we made the right decision. As far as SF Bay, I cant comment. All I know is you guys get ALOT of wind out there, and big swells under the bridge.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I was faced with the same decision last year. I had ridden on quite a few Montauks and knew them well. Interestingly, every Montauk owner I knew said to get the Mako. They all complained about the rough ride of their boat and the lack of storage. So I bought the Mako and it's been a great decision thus far. Good luck.
      SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I am on my second 17 with alot of other boats in between and I came back to Mako. The 17 has some issues, but all boats do.

I seal the hatch cover under the console and put an access hatch to check for water around the gas tank which is a common problem. A couple drain holes in the pan and keep water out, its good to go.

Comment

I sold my BW17 last year. It was a good boat and I enjoyed it, but as the years went on, the lack of storage really started to bother me. Now I'm back on a Mako and it's not a problem.

What years are you looking at? Whaler did improve the Montauk in the late 70's and ran the design for 25 years. It is a good boat and you need to look at both. The open transom "holes" are on early 70's era boats and are not a factor on newer (say late 70's/early 80's) designs.

BTW, asking this question on a Mako site is going to be pro Mako. Go to the BW site and it will be reversed I'm sure.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

thanks... and I was mindful of your point sailor...but i am grateful for all the information. I still have a lot to learn, and I'll be taking boating safety courses and having the USCG qualify the boat.

sailor, the mako is a 73 with a newer motor. the hull is in fantastic shape and it can be had for around $3500.00

Comment

I sold my 73 Cohasset 16 (first 16'7" BW with a fiberglass console) with a '94 90 Evinrude with 350 hours for $4500. It was a good boat and caught a lot of fish. I had it 20 miles offshore several times, but mainly fished the flats and the coast line. If it was my choice, it would be the Mako 17 hands down. Easier to work on, more storage, better in chop, gunwale that you can mount rod holders, antennas, stereo speakers, etc.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

I beat my mako 1984 17'with no problems. Not tons of storage but one solid boat.

Comment

Working...
                X