Mako Brown Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako Brown Windshield

What are some options to restore the windshield frame of a 1984 238 WA? The brown anodizing is coming off. It currently looks pretty bad. I'd like to change the color as well.
    1984 Mako 238, 2000 Yamaha 250[br]Long Island, NY

I have an 89 210 WA with the same windows. I took them off the boat and stripped all the paint with 5f5. All the straight sections came out great with some polishing but the corners where they burnished the welds look just OK. Some people have powder coated them but there is even more prep involved I believe. Probably put close to 30 hours into the project but it makes the boat look 7-10 years newer. Keep as many of the gaskets as you can. I goy lucky at west marine and found some perfect gasket material in the cheap drawer. I dont know what it was from.

Comment

I have an 85-224 and my frame was shot. All the paint was worn off

at the hand grabs. The frame looked pitted as well, sent it to a local powder coater. Coated it satin black ,looks better than new.

The hardest part was picking the color. Total cost $130.00 and about 3 hours to r&r. Worth every minute. Send email I can foward pic if you want.
      Bob

Comment

HEy JSea-

I stripped my brown windshield frame with regular paint stripper, than sanded it, than used West System aluminum cleaner and metal etcher, than I primed it with that lime green Zinc Chromate primer, than regular primer and then finally I painted it with Black Krylon. It came out really well, but the Krylon is semi soft paint (much harder than Rust Oleum) so it does get dinged up fairly easy. If I had to do it over again, which i may do, I would either paint it with Black Awlgrip or send it out to be powder coated.

Ed

Comment

I feel like a jerk for spending all that time to clean it up and have it look only good. I'm sure the powder coating looks awesome. I assumed the prep was the same either way but if I could have just taken the windows out and sent them to a shop for short money I definately would have gone that route. Live and learn. Even if mine cost $250 with more material I'm still working for less than $10 an hour. Oh well.

Comment

Don't bother with all the prep yourself. Find an outfit that does powder coating in your area and talk to them first. The one I found in Toms River, NJ sand blasted the windshield, did the prep and painted it for $125. Since I had removed all the teak on the boat and replaced it with black Starboard I had it done in gloss black. I even found black gasket material at a glass shop to replace the Mako brown. It was done five years ago and it is still holding up great. No chips, no oxidation underneath creating blisters. It's the only way to go, unless you want to have to paint it again in two or three years.
            [br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Comment

I did mine a few years back. I stripped the brown powdercoat off and primed and painted with Off-white Easy poxy. Its held up pretty good so far. I salvaged the gaskets. Hopefully it'll last a few more years. Next time I'll probably use Awlgrip or go for the poweder coating.
              Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Definately powdercoat it...stuff is indestructable if prepped correctly.

And forget sanding etc....get it blasted and be done with it. Besides, it'll give the powdercoat the best adhesion, and the nature of powdercoat will fill any imperfections, you dont have to sand perfectly smooth.
                1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

spoke today with a powder coater here in town. saw some scooter wheels he did. they were awesome. the guy broke a bolt off bolting them back together and didn't even scratch the powder coat. told me the only prep work i needed to do was remove all of the old urethane from where the glass was mounted. (didn't have it on mine. glass was double stick taped in and the gaskets sealed with rtv.)i did have some holes welded up and the bracket on the very top of the "v" was cracked. but it's ready to go. will post the price he quotes me when i bring them to him tomorrow. even 200 bucks is worth all the effort it would take to do it myself and not have to do it again in a few years.
                  Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

well, got the call today. got to pick up the frames from the powder coater tomorrow. $250 for the 6 frame pieces. got an email from florida marine tank, they have all the mouldings, $125 including shipping. will pick up the polyurethane windshield sealer tomorrow after i get the frames. figure all total 400 isn't a bad deal considering what little bit i did do to the frames took me 8 hrs. will post pics when i get everything assembled.
                    Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

I'm sure it will make a hell'va diffrence in the way the boat looks.[]

Comment

i have a 21b. I removed the whole frame (3 pieces) and took it to a sand blaster. I chose not to powder coat it based on a reccomendation of an old mako factory glass man. Instead I took it to an auto body shop and had it sprayed and clear coated an off white. It looks incredible.
                        mm

Comment

Well, looks like I'm finally gonna get time to get some work done on the beast this weekend. Got the windshield frame back from the powder coaters. Got the urethane from the body shop supply. Florida Marine Tank did an AWESOME job matching the window gaskets. So far money spent: $250 powder coat, $125 gaskets, $70 urethane & foam tape. I did manage to get one of the smaller glasses in last nite to get a judge of what time frame it will take to get the whole thing done. So far so good. Took a little over an hour to mount the one glass. Will post pics when everything is done.

Comment

I've heard a good inexpensive way to paint those frames is to use an aluminum paint made for sliding glass door frames. They sell it at hardware stores like Home Depot.

Mark

Comment

Grantn,

Did you buy the gasket in a roll or pieces? My gaskets have shrunk. I'm going the powder coat route but not until I get the odds and ends. What color did you go with for the frame?
                              1984 Mako 238, 2000 Yamaha 250[br]Long Island, NY

Comment

Working...
                              X