Age old question- how much engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age old question- how much engine?

Good morning!- I'm looking for some sage advice.

I just purchased a 1990 211 yesterday. I had the dealer remove the 1999 225 Johnson 2 stroke carbureted engine since it lacked a known usage history.

Now comes the tough question- what do I power it with? Specs show it can handle up to a 235.

Items to consider:

- Boat will be used in Ocean in Maine: not far off shore

- Weekend use only

- Budget of $10K MAX

Any thoughts for the newest guy on the block?
    1991 Mako 211[br]

Brookseta-

Why not just keep the 225hp that was on the boat and have the dealer go over it and give it a complete tuneup/overhaul, etc.

I run a Suzuki 225hp EFI on my 1991 Mako 231...which is a bit bigger than your boat....in the waters around northern Massachusetts. The engine pushes the boat to a max speed of 43-44mph.....which is fine by standards.

I would think that a 225hp or a 200hp would be fine on your boat. If you are looking to buy a brand new motor....there are plenty of dealers on EBAY and the internet that sell new, left over motors. A month or so back, there was a guy who was selling new 2002 Suzuki 225 EFI motors for around $7900.

Do some poking around and see what you can dig up.

Ed

Comment

Hi Ed,

I toyed with the idea of keeping it long and hard. But, because the fellow did not know the history- I thought better than keep it.

One piece of advice I could use is how small is too small a motor? Will a 150 or 175 do the job?

Thanks.

Brookesta

Powerless 1990 Mako 211
      1991 Mako 211[br]

Comment

Whatever you do, dont go under 75-80% of rated HP, I'd call that the lowest end you want to look at.

But for several reasons, I'd put a 225 on that boat. You wont have to run the engine as hard, leading to less gas burned and a longer life. And when the crappola hits the fan, you have the power to get home, be it burned out pumps and a bilge full of water (I speak from experience in a trip in my 17) or running a bad inlet where you need the power to stay in the safe spot on the back of the wave. Really, in my mind, you can never have enough.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Agree with Mako Rider. I too don't understand why trash the 225. If the charging system charges, compression up to snuff, lower unit is tight........it will go forever. The old OMC 225s were some of the best motors ever made. Hell, a rebuild is only around 3500.... If someone talked you into this it is because they want that motor.

I would have a wrench go through it and run her. She will not get the fuel milage of a new direct inject (average 15,000.00 $$ !!), but she is very reliable. I have a '92 225 OMC with ......who knows how many hours and she just keeps on going.

Comment

Brookseta-

I don't think a 150hp would be enough for that boat. You could probably get away with the 175hp, but it might take some time for the boat to get on a plane especially if there are several people on board.

What are you planning on using the boat for? Putting around by yourself and doing some fishing? If so....you could probably get away with less horsepower. But if you plan on lugging along family and friends...I would go for either a 200 or 225hp.

Ed

Comment

Brookseta-

Here is the link for the 2003 Suzuki 225efi for $7900 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50439

I have an older version of this motor (1998) on my 231 and it runs very well. If you deal with anyone on ebay, just be cautious. If the guy is local in the Northeast....you may want to drive and pick it up instead of having it shipped.

Ed

Comment

A 175 would be fine. A 200 would be ideal. A 225 would be overkill.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

I think 200hp is what I'll shop for. Price to performance looks good.

Ed, thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

I found a guy in MA with 2 motors, a 200hp 2000 Johnson for 6K installed and a 1999 225hp Suzuki 7K installed. Says both were purchased from him, serviced by him and then traded into him. I like a motor with a known service and usage history.

Worth looking at anyway.

Now, how about trailer prices- Can't believe how expensive they've gotten. Everyone blames it on the steel prices... $500 up over last year's prices for a 4100lb roller type.

Nothing's easy or cheap in the boating world!
                  1991 Mako 211[br]

Comment

Cant really understand why you would take off a 99 johnson to put another used motor on the back. As said, if compression, charging system and lower unit check out, run it . It will last a while. If you are set on a new motor, the guy in bourne Mass on Rt 28 (cant remember the name of the shop) quoted me 9500 to install a leftover brand new 2 stroke Suzuki 225 at the boat show in Feb. Not the most efficient motor. Seemed like a great price including controlsa nd changeover from Yamaha. I went with an 04 HPDI 200. The mechanic at my yard is the #1 guy on the cape and I wanted to keep my business with him. It was worth knowing that if something goes wrong I will get attention first. The 5 year warranty was a sweet deal also.

Comment

Deffinately the 225 as you never have enough power on a boat.
                      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

CCM brings up an important point. Keep in mind who will be servicing the motor after the sale. If the Suzuki guy is a 100 miles away, who cares how good a deal it is. Find a service department/dealer you like and buy a brand that they service.

I also would go with an aluminum trailer over the galvanized. They are ligher, won't rust, and not much more expensive.
                        SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

It's a funny thing- the outboard motor industry is pretty impressive. Lots of choices and loads of cash! You folks have a lot of knowledge and experience why isn't there a consolidated outboard motor review site?

I think boating life would be simpler if there were.

All that being said I have chosen, and purchased the Merc 200 Classic carb version from a dealer local to where the boat will be moored.

I have also purchased a Road King 5100lb trailer. Lighter duty than the Load-rites etc. but for my purposes it fits the Bill. And for all these purchases Bill is the operative word!!!

So, I can now write that I am the proud owner of a Classic 1990 211 Center Consol Mako powered by a 2004 200hp Carb Merc.

Exterior of the hull has just been detailed and the bottom has had it's first coats of classic Blue paint applied. Motor goes on next week.

By Memorial day she'll be sitting pretty on the hook up in Phippsburg, Maine eager for the weekends when we'll cast early morning in search of Striped Bass, Blues, Mackerel and maybe the occasional Cod.

It will be good to be open for business!
                          1991 Mako 211[br]

Comment

Working...
                          X