Outboard choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard choices

This should open a huge can of worms. What are your opinions on outboard types and brands? 23 Mako 1977 model. My inclinations are to stay away from the 4-strokes because of weight. What do you guys think? Evinrude fuel injected, yamaha hdpi, suzuki, merc.? I've been looking at the various manufacturer's web sites and weight of motor and as usual I'm overwhelmed.
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Spend the day on a boat with four strokes before you make a final decision. It's your money and the only decision/chioce that is right is what is right for you.

I went to four strokes last year and am very happy with them. No complaints. They suit my use and therefore are right for me.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
    1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

Flounder gave a good recommendation. I hate these type of questions and usually do not respond. Classic Mako is a tight nit group and doesn't have the usual BS that you would find on say Fl Sportsman or THT.

There are a lot of people that will say get brand X cause it's the best. Problem is the are talking out their ASS. They don't have a freaking clue of how a motor even operates.

I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but I will tell you that I have a pair of 140hp 4stroke Suzuki's on my shop floor.

If you want to know how these 4 strokes are supirear to other 4 stroke's I will tell you if you want to know.

Comment

Please tell me how the Suzuki 4-stroke is superior to others Warthog.

Comment

Honda and Yamaha 4 strokes have a timming belt. They also have an interferance motor. A interferance motor means that if the timming belt breaks or sheds a couple of cogs on the belt, the pistons will colide with the valves. This happens on cars all the time if the belt is not changed in the recommended 30K miles.

Suzuki runs a timming CHAIN. It run's in the crankcase. In the 115hp class motors Suzuki has a 45amp alt. Yamaha has a 25amp alt.

Suzuki has an offset motor. IE The crankshaft is not inline with the driveshaft. There is a gear reduction there and in the foot like other outboards. This gives a overall lower gear ratio. The outcome is that the Suzuki swings a bigger prop and get's a better bite on the water.

The Johnson 90/115/140hp motors are Suzuki's painted White.

Comment

Well I've always been a Johnson man myself. I thought Johnson and Evinrude were the same, but I guess that was when OMC owned them. Now you tell me Suzuki and Johnson are the same. I was thinking of putting a single 225 on my 23 mako. I notice that you, Warthog, are putting twins on your 23. I assume that you are doing that because of the added weight you will have with the cuddy cabin.

Comment

Well that's part of it. The 4 group 27 batteries are going in the bottom of the consoles. 2 each side. If I had to guess, I'd say that the whole cuddy/pilothouse doesn't weigh any more than 350lbs.

As really to having twins. You never hear anyone with twins saying I wish I had a single engine.[]

Comment

Good point. It kind of gives one a little peace of mind when 30 miles offshore.

Comment

Just two points of clarification. First, only the four stroke Johnsons are Susuki. The two strokes are manufactured by Bombardier. Second, the Susuki weighs less than the Honda. I haven't checked the Yamaha weight.

If you can afford twins, that's what you want for offshore fishing.
                  Ole Joe
                  Just floundering around
                  Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
                  1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

The Yamaha's in the 90/115hp 4 strokes are 9lbs lighter than the Suzuki's

and 90lbs lighter than the Honda's.

Comment

Warthog5,

I've heard a lot of good things about Suzuki 4-strokes and have noticed that there prices are a little less than Yamaha. The only concern that I have is service. I live near Melbourne Florida and have not heard of many dealers that service Suzuki outboards.

RGS
                      RGS

Comment

For me there is Paridise Marine in Gulf Shores ,Al. that's about 40mi.

Emerald Coast Marine around the coroner from the house and Lou's Marine in Gulf Breeze, Fl.

There is also Steve that went into buiness for himself. He was the head mechanic at Lou's for years.

Comment

Warthog, I have been asking around about buying motors in the crate and they look at me like I am crazy. What are the sources for outboards in the box?

I am seriously considering a repower after the season, and I want to do it myself.

A friend of mine just picked up two Suzuki 140's last year for 14,000 for the pair, I can't even seem to find a single 225 for much less than that.
                          Larry S. - Fort Pierce, Florida[br]23 Contender

Comment

Larry, What exactually are you looking for?

Please put your hometown,state in your signature on this site. It helps keep things stright in peoples mind's.[]

If your after a Yamaha. I'd contact Andy over on THT. That's where I got my Suzzy's from. He is a Yamaha dealer and these motors were installed on a Glasher Bay 26ftr. Look at the vender's under SIM [Shipyard Island Marina].

Comment

Well, I will want a 225 or 250. Probably a 2 stroke for weight reasons, same as Bwana. My 232 is a very bow high riding boat.

Hate to hijack this thread, but it is more or less in-line with the original question. I also am interested in opinions on all the makes and models.

My 225 Johnson has to go to the shop tomorrow for lower unit probs.$$$$$
                              Larry S. - Fort Pierce, Florida[br]23 Contender

Comment

Working...
                              X