Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Tournament Edition" ??? - Ed Mancini???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tournament Edition" ??? - Ed Mancini???

Our 261 originally came out of Fla, has Tuppen's stickers on it saying 'Tournament Edition'. Just thought it was a Tuppens thing, but I noticed in Ed Mancini's signature line it says 'tournament edition' as well.

What, exactly, if anything at all, makes these early 90s makos Tournament Editions?? A sticker?
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Hey Makorider-

Back in the day, when Mako was the boat to have, several of their dealers rigged their boats with the top of the line equipment and named them " XYZ...TOURNAMENT EDITION".

When I first got the boat, I called Tuppen's and talked to them about their tournament edition Mako's. Even though they no longer carry Mako, they were happy to answer my questions. The hull, fuel capacity, etc. are exactly the same as the rest of the Mako's. What distinquishes the Tuppen's tournament models from the rest are.....(at the time)top of the line BLUEWATER TOWERS T-TOP and LEANING POST, YAMAHA engine with hydraulic steering, all the extra gizmos and gadgets (GPS, fishfinder,Loran, remember this was 1991), outriggers, downrigger and usually a high end aluminum trailer. The best part about my boat, was that it was kept on a lift its entire life and serviced for many years at the Rybovich/Spencer yacht yard. I look at the old invoices and cannot believe the $$$$$ (in 1991 dollars) that they charged the original owner to keep this thing in bristol condition.

Basically, a Mako tournament edition it is kind of like how Ford labels their top end trucks with EDDIE BAUER edition tags.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Comment

My 91 241 is also a Tuppens Tournament Edition. I wondered the same thing myself. The boat has a leaning post and not much else that makes it any different as far as I can tell.

tomcat

Comment

Working...
      X