GARMIN OR NAVMAN CHARTPLOTTER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GARMIN OR NAVMAN CHARTPLOTTER?

HI THERE ALL, JUST LOOKING TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU ALL THINK IS THE BEST CHARTPLOTER GPS. IM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING ONE AND WAS LOOKING INTO THE GARMIN 192C AND THEN I SAW THE NAVMAN. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IMPUT ON HOW RELIABLE THE NAVMAN IS AND MOST OF ALL THE EASE OF USING IT IM NOT VERY HANDY WHEN IT COMES TO THESE TYPES OF ELECTRONICS. IVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE GARMIN BUT IM UNDECIDED PLEASE ANY INFO WILL HELP THANKS AND TIGHT LINES

Personally I have a Garmin 2006C on my Grady...and pure and simple I can say I LOVE IT. I can actually anchor over wrecks without using marker bouys on many occasions now, by just using the chartplotter.

The quality is there, the factory support is there, and you mentioned ease of use...well it's there too. The Garmin is a really easy user friendly unit.

The detail in the Garmin is excellent, epsecially with the Bluecharts.

I can't speak for the Navman stuff because I never had a Navman piece of electronics.

There's quite a few companies out there giving these units away at good prices, but I find most of my stuff from www.consumersmarine.com

Good luck, I would also suggest looking into the 2006 units. They have been replaced by the 3006 (only benefit to 3006 is the possible radar and weather XM interface) and are decently prices, you can probably pick one up for about 1100 to 1200 bucks. The screen is larger and nicer then the 192, it has a alaphnumeric keypad for easier data entry and you can interface it to become a bottom machine and GPS.
    Jones Inlet, Long Island

Comment

ARGHHHHHH [!] I bought this same unit 6 months ago and paid almost $400 more then you can have it for now. ARGGHHHHH This is a good deal. They also have the 192 with external antenna for $ 702 bucks.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH! [!][V][!][:-(][:-(][:-(] Damn had my GPS not crapped out during the peak of wreck fishing season I would have waited till the new year to get a new plotter....well I didn't and well here I am cussing.

http://bethel-marine.com/Garmin_GPSMAP2006C.htm
      Jones Inlet, Long Island

Comment

CUBERA18

My dad has a navman tracker 5600, and we have had no problems with it.

The color and detail is great in the sun.

I haven't needed to call their factory support, so i don't know how it is.

The unit is 2 yrs old, and there have been no problems so far. I plan on buying iether a fishfinder or gps for my sea craft because of the fuel monitoring system that they sell and our happiness with the unit.
        Andrew[br]1971 Sea Craft 20\' SF[br]Norwalk Islands

Comment

Melikes Navman. I think Garmin is nice, but IMO overpriced
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing. I bought a SeaCraft right before Thanksgiving that has a garmin fishfinder and I have a handheld garmin so I've been leaning towards them and hoping to be able to ditch this fish finder but still be able to use it's through hull transducer to feed a GPS/Chartplotter/Fishfinder combo unit. I think the fuel flow would be a great feature though. Is there any way to get that capability with Garmin? I also have an issue with deck space. I have plenty of room to mount a flushmount display horizontally but I think if I do I won't be able to read it and if I bracket mount it, I won't be able to see my gauges.

Off topic, do you keep your boat in Norwalk as well? I use to be in the rack storage at Norwest but am moving way up the river to a slip just below the I95 bridge this season. I'll keep an eye out for you come spring.
            1973 23\' SeaCraft Tsunami w/ 300hp Etec[br]Norwalk, CT

Comment

Before you make a decision make sure you chech out the Garmin 392. The Garmin 192C is a great unit however with their cartography they tried to put ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag. Supposedly, with the new 392 they fixed that. The 192 is a great unit and for the price right now you can't beat it. We could not keep them in our store last spring and I have not heard of any complaints. Also having worked with many of Garmin's customer support representatives I find them to be extemely knowledgeable and helpful about their products.

I you want my personal opinion on the navman, I think their products are cheap. In the two years I have been at West Marine I have never sold a navman chartplotter or fishfinder. I find the only takers on their products are sailboater wanting their multifunction gauges.
              Baltimore, MD

Comment

Hey Johnathan,

Before you mount any unit horizontally check the manual.

Had a XXXXX brand that collected water.

Supposadly water proof. Funny ho they can hold water but not keep it out. The only reason I could tell was that it didn't have enough slope. Manual said not to mount it beyond x degrees.
                Daren Lillis[br]New Bern, NC[br]1975 23\' CC I/O[br]Volvo Penta-5.0 MPI/SX[br]Project Page http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33909[br][br]

Comment

I also second that price opinion...garmins seem way overpriced compared to the navmans that i see on ebay.

jonathangolds...The men in my family are long time members of the snbc so my dad has a 26 hydrasport there and i will be keeping my sea craft there. i'm only 19, so i'm not a member yet. My cousin has had his boat kept at another private club father down the river while he's been waiting for a slip, but i forgot what it was called.

-andrew
                  Andrew[br]1971 Sea Craft 20\' SF[br]Norwalk Islands

Comment

Check those links I posted...you can get some good machines at a decent price.
                    Jones Inlet, Long Island

Comment

I have a Navman Fuel management gauge works great. If I was going to buy I would go with the Garmin, but if you want a gps thats pro grade and saltwater ready go furuno I have a 1650 that uses navionics charts. But of the two you listed go with garmin. The only down side to a furuno is in the wallet a furuno 1650 will run about $1200-1300.[8D]
                      Carolinafishin[br]1978 Mako 25 CC[br]twin 225 rudes[br]Carolinabeach, NC[br]

Comment

Both are great. Navman has a fuel monitoring solution which once you have it, you will never have a boat without one. Garmins usually come with more built-in maps. Navman had a great deal not to long ago where you got a $200 rebate, but since I bought one I haven't watched for it.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL
                        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Garmin has some great rebates on some of their chartplotters. I just bought a 2006c for less than $900 including the $150 rebate through Garmin. I think they are now selling the 2006c with the preloaded maps so you can get a pretty good deal on the older models that require a chip.
                          1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

Comment

That's a good point with the water intrusion on a horizontal mounting. I was just thinking that the glare would be too strong. At about what angle did you have yours mounted and was glare a problem?

I'm still wondering if Garmin offers a fuel flow capability. I've never seen it mentioned but I can't understand why not. It seems like a pretty simple feature to add and extremely useful.

Yammtt125 - I've never been in SNBC but it looks like a great spot. Can I ask how you get a slip there if you're not a member yet? If it's a possibility, it's something I'd love to look into for next season, membership or not. I've been on a waiting list at my club for over three years now and it hasn't moved at all. It's pretty frustrating.
                            1973 23\' SeaCraft Tsunami w/ 300hp Etec[br]Norwalk, CT

Comment

Hello fellow Mako Men, I just have to have a id="red">Cid="green">Oid="maroon">Lid="yellow">Oid="blue">R id="black">multi-function machine on my dash. I have been playing with the Lowrance LCX-111C HD model at the Cabelas counter on the demo mode but does anyone use one on their boat that can give it a thumbs up or down? I need a reason to remove my old Simrad gray scale small screen unit that works great. I'm trying to use the excuse to myself that these old eyes need a bigger screen.

Regards, Jerry aka Zoo Dog.
                              92 Mako 201[br]92 Yamaha 200[br]Seguin, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X