How to get bow lift on 19' 1977 IS IT POSSIBLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get bow lift on 19' 1977 IS IT POSSIBLE

Have a 1977 19' mako and no matter where i have my 120 v4 Evenrude trimmed i can never get the bow lifted. It seems like this hull wants to stay flat, which is fine in flat conditions, but any slight chop I have spray comming over the bow only a couple feet back from the tip. if i could raise the bow with the trim it would make for better ride. Is it a common problem of this hull? Is the weight centered to far forward (Console & 35gallon tank). Any ideas on how to lift the bow? Would a change of prop do it??

Quote: Any Idea's.

Wet, water logged foam in the hull?

Comment

Yeah, some props definately lift more than others. You want a high rake wheel...thats where you get lift, something like a Michigan Rapture or Stilletto. What are you running now??

Also, where is your cav plate in relation to the keel; ie, how high, low, or just right is your engine mounted?
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Just running a standard cheap prop on a v4 1987 120hp Evenrude, But it is a 25" shaft The cav plate sits low. Faom is dry to the touch where I can get to it, Just replaced the transom. It just seems like the boat is bow heavy. I know the boat should have a 20" shaft, but wouldn't the extra length give more leverage?

Comment

There's a big part of your problem. That engine has to come up. Its costing you speed and fuel, and no, you dont get more leverage because dragging all that extra gearcase through the water just screws things up.

I would think your rig must be throwing alot of water up in a 'v' at this point. Thats all drag.

Raise it and put a good prop on it and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a difference it makes.
          1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Mako rider is right on. That 19 is pretty much the same hull as the 22B. Pretty dog gone flat in the azz end. It has a 20 inch transom and requires either a 20 inch motor or a jack plate. West has a Jackplate (mechanical ) for under 200.00 that would work.

The other part of your delimma is that the hull is a modified Vee. It is designed to run pretty flat. My 78 22B would run with the water throw at midpoint of the hull. My 21B rides with water throw near the back 1/3 of the hull. Big difference in hulls though.

The jackplate would be the least expensive way to go, and I think would solve most of your problems. I bet that 120 has it's hands full with that 19.

Comment

My 20' runs flat as well. Mine has a 25" transom and a 200 Merc but the cav plat is 2" above the hull V even on the lowest setting. I'm cavetating (also need to do some skeg repair.) I'm getting a jack plate for more set back. Will let you know if the trim improves

http://www.geocities.com/hkendalldesign/MVC-004S.JPG
              Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

Try this photo again

Comment

Last try

Comment

Working...
                  X