Water logged Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water logged Mako

Hi all...first timer on the forum. I have a 84' 20ft Mako. The boat was beat up by the previous owner but the price was right so a got it. I spent time on the 89 Evinrude 150 first and finally got it running this past weekend. I didn't want to waste my time if the engine bad. Now there is a lot of electrical and cosmetic repair to be done. My question is; If water got into the boat thru a 3x3 inch hole in the bow just below the bump rail would it eventually drain into the bilge area? I had a scare this weekend. I have noticed water trickling out the seam of the gas tank access cover under your feet while you stant at the controls. I opened the round access portal to the sending unit and found water to the top. The water was in the void where there was no flotation. I then open the small rectangle cover in the large cover and found the same thing...water. I don't want to bit off more than I can handle and have to remove the center console and lift the large gas tank cover if I don't have to. Maybe that was just some surface water that seeped in. Sorry for the long message. I figured the more info the better. Will the water drain out with proper pitch? thanks

Before you do any wiring, Id pull the console and the tank hatch and at least inspect in there.

Comment

Are you sure all the valves on your drain system are open ???

Comment

Kris-

I just am finishing up a fuel tank replacement project on a 1993 Mako 211. What we found when we pulled up the floor was that the tank basically sits in a coffin that does not have any way for water to drain if water gets in there. It is supossed to be a sealed compartment but I guess after time water gets into everything. The coffin was completely filled with water and water saturated foam surrounding the fuel tank. What a mess. I'm guessing was was hauling around at least 50 gallons of water at approx. 8 lbs per gallon - 400 extra lbs!

I'm not sure how you would go about draining this without pulling the tank. Maybe someone else on here would have an idea.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. I know what the right thing to do is. I need to remove the console and pull the tank cover. I may try to make one attempt to slide a tube into the tank compartment a see if I can suck any water out. If This doesn't work I will raise the cover. Does any one know how to handle the 2 pvc pipes that are fiberglased into theis cover. There is one on each side and I believe they are chases to run wire to the side of the boat. Thanks

Comment

I had the same problem on my last two Makos and I keep wondering why a drain can not be added to the tub or coffin to allow it to drain to the bilge?????

On my first Mako I took a long electricans drill bit and drilled down along side the tank to allow drainage into the bilge and prevent collection of water.

Comment

We put drainage in the coffin when we did my new tank. Only makes sense.

Comment

Tarponmadman-

What kind of drain did you put in your tank? Is it some sort of one-way vave that only lets water out and not in? Or did you just simply drill a hole???

If you just drilled a hole, are you concerned about water getting into the fuel tank area from the bilge???

Ed

Comment

I will lift the console today. Just enough to get to the screws holding the tank hatch and lift the tank hatch. I will let you know what I find.

Comment

I'm really interested in what you find when you pull the access cover. I've haven't done it yet, but am contemplating doing just that.

Needless to say, the next question will be is can I increase the fuel capacity when I do?
                    Bill Moore[br]Eden, North Carolina[br]\'81 Mako 21 Center Console

Comment

Yes, I echo that (obviously - see the boat in my sig!).

And if you can post some pics of what you found, and description of how you opened, that would be really helpful.
                      NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

I lifted the console and removed the hatch. In the interest of time I didn't disconnect any steering or throttle cables. I forst removed all screws in the console. This gave me enough play to lift the console about 3 inches. I supported it with wood blocks. I then removed the teak ring. This was a pain to access all the screws...not much room to work with when you don't completley remove the console. I went out a bought a rt angle ratcheting phililp head screw driver which worked great. I also supported this with wood. Next I went to work chipping out the resin/putty? around the 2 pipes in the gas tank hatch. I then removed the screws in the hatch and slide it out from under the console. I am not really sure what I found. If I decide to keep the boat I will do this again but remove the console. There was definetly moisture and the foam seemed to be a little wet. The tank was completly covered in foam with a small amount removed around the sending unit. There may be some amount of water trapped in there but i didn't see any voids where a lot of water could be trapped. I decided to let it go as is. I cleaned around the lip and laid in a strip of rubber weatherstripping. I then replaced the hatch and sealed in the gap with silicone sealant. I reversed all steps above and just need to fill the voids around the wire chase pipes in the floor. I will cross my fingers.

Comment

The fuel tank is sealed in that coffin for safety. I would not put a drain in there. Imagine what would happen if your fuel tank ruptured. If the tank were still sealed in there as it was intended the fuel would have nowhere to go. If you have a drain in there the fuel goes into the bilge, KABOOM!!!! Pull the hatch off and remove all of the saturated foam that you can possibly get out then leave the hatch off in the hot sun to dry out the rest. You can carefully run a fine tooth carpenters saw along the sides of the coffin and tank to remove the foam as deep as possible along the sides. In the hot sun the remaining moisture will eveporate over a few days. Be sure to seal anyplace water could get in when you put it all back together.

Comment

mako224 is correct. Do not put a drain in there. It is sealed so that if a tank does rupture/leak/etc. then the fuel will be contained and not get into the bilge to either cause an explosion or be pumped over board.

If your tank is good, then you may be able to get the water out and re-seal everything. This might get you by for awhile, but eventually you will need to replace the tank so might as well do it now. With an 84 boat, it's definitely due.
                            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                            1985 Mako 20c - sold
                            Fort Walton Beach, FL
                            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Sailor and Mako224 are absolutly correct. DO NOT put a drain in. you might as well do the tank job now while you are gung ho about the boat. If not, you might be forced to do it when the tank craps out. You can however, install a sump tube and re-install using closed cell foam. that way, if water gets in, you already have a tube in place at the lowest point and the foam won't soak up any water.
                              OBX[br]Crystal Coast, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X