Paint Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Question

Ok I'm clueless. Old 1977 hull. Gelcoat, Imron, Awlgrip, something Else?
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Bwana64 Let's start with a little more imfo.

Are you doing it, or are you farming it out?

Comment

I will be farming it out. The people I'm talking to are telling me different things and I don't know what to believe.

Comment

Typically a paint shop is going to push you toward what they are comfortable using. They have good results with a particlar product.

that doesn't mean the other product is bad.

Now can you give use some imfo as to what they are telling you?

Comment

Well one guy said you can't reapply gelcoat, which I know is wrong. Another said Imron is not any good and not tough enough. Also that Awlgrip is very thin and only good if you are brushing rather than spraying. He said he uses a paint designed to go on airplanes. Said it is tougher. So I'm really confused, and I don't know what to believe.

Comment

While we're at it...any opinions on Stirling??
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Funny, Imron is obviously good enough for Hatteras, Intrepid, and Jupiter to put on their hulls above the waterline. There are several other big name builders who use Imron too, I just can't think of them right now.

PPG concept has a beautiful finish too.

Awlgrip is a very tricky paint to work with, but inthe right hands it has the strongest finish in the paint world.

Its extremely difficult to reapply gelcoat over an entire hull. Lots of sanding required. There are some additives that make gelcoating a bit easier. Duratec Hi-gloss is what this guy used to gelcoat this hull which he built from scratch without a mold.

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

this is a great topic for me as i was preparing to re-gelcoat the entire foredeck and gunwale after replacing the rotted core. The information that was given to me is that gelcoat is the most durable and longest lasting of finishes, followed by the two part urethanes, awlgrip etc. I restored a 1966 rhodes 19 and had the hull sprayed with awlgrip, 5 years later it is still shiny and glossy. I beleive that warthog only uses paint but would like to get a clearer picturer of what is the way to go for longevity and gloss.

thanks
                3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

Quote:

He said he uses a paint designed to go on airplanes. Said it is tougher. So I'm really confused, and I don't know what to believe.

Was the name of that paint Deft? I use it and can tell you it is SUPER tuff. It is the same as Awlgrip with a mil spec on it.

As to only putting Awlgrip on with roll& tip method and not spraying it, I say BS.

This is part of getting you to OK the method that they are happy with.

Shop around some more.

Comment

I don't know the name of the paint, but it is a Sherwin Williams Product. So, are you saying that the airplane paint is a good way to go on a boat?

Comment

I have applied the awlgrip by rolling and had great results. I know from reading the literature that they recommend spraying more coats than when rolling. Each separate coat, when sprayed, are thinner, but you spray more coats. What I am getting at is that this guy is wrong to generalize about the thickness difference in rolling vs. spraying. It will always simply be a function of how many coats you put on.
                      1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Yes they are used interchangable. I looked at the Industrial and Marine

site of SW and didn't see any thing that jumped out at me for boat painting.

Comment

Bwana-

An established professional can refinish your boat with either gelcoat, awlgrip or imron.

Gelcoat (in my opinion) is the best, because it is very, very durable....easily repaired and will last a long time. However, gelcoat is the most labor intensive way of refinishing. Lots of prep work and lots of finish sanding.

Awlgrip is my second choice because it is the most durable paint on the market. In the right hands, it looks absolutely beautiful. Some guys don't wet sand after they spray awlgrip....but the guys who take a lot of pride in their work will wet sand and it makes all the difference.

Imron is good for topsides etc....but when applied near the waterline it has a tendency to peel .....more so than Awlgrip. The key to painting along the waterline...is make sure that you sand below the waterline, spray slightly below the waterline...and then when you repaint the bottom...make sure that the new bottom paint extends above the IMRON paint line.

My vote is for the gelcoat!

Ed

Comment

phew, now i'm really confused! spent many years painting cars and thought i knew what i was doing when i comes to painting. now reading all of these posts has me feeling like a kindergarten kid. am seriously looking into using the awlgrip for the hull and the cockpit, but would rather spray it than roll it. (have a serious aversion to sanding). was thinking gelcote on the decks. looking for durability and ease of maintenance. i really don't feel like having to do it all over again in 5 years. was wondering how hard the awlgrip is to spray.
                            Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

I have to believe that if you sprayed cars at all you should have no problem with spraying Awlgrip. No matter what you will have lots of sanding to do for prep and scuff between coats for adhesion (I think that the inbetween coats applies to spraying too). See what the others think.
                              1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Working...
                              X