finding level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding level

siance the transom cutouts are not cut level what is the best way? I would think that measuring from the skine up on each side would be the way the boat sits is there any otherway? bracket due to be here on Friday still a longway from mounting it
    84 mako 21B[br]cape coral FL.

Lay a 4ft level across the transom cap. Now jack the trailer to get the boat level. Set it on a jackstand or blocks to get it off the jack and have it level. The jack can drift down a little and throw everything out of wack.

Now I use a 4ft Drywall "T" square and a standard framing square to dry my lines.

Will the bracket have a full swim platform? Mine does.

I drilled the mounting holes in the bracket. I drilled them all at 3/16in first. 2 of the holes are on the ends of the platform. Position the platform as close to the horzintal line as you can. Drill a pilothole thru the 3/16in hole in the bracket and into the transom. Now install a self taping screw to secure that end. Now lay the 4ft level on the bracket and level it. Then drill thru the othe side 3/16in hole thru the bracket and pilot a hole for another self taping screw. Install that screw.

Now with a 3/16in bit in the drill mark the other holes thru the bracket and into the transom. Don't drill them deep, just a mark.

Remove the bracket and using a portable drill press drill the 3/16in holes thru the transom.

Can't find a pix of the portable drill press. I bought mine from Harbor Freight for about $25.00.

It will keep the hole stright when drilling thru the bracket and drilling thru the transom. You want to step the holes. Don't hog the size you want by drilling the final size at one time. You will have a caddy wompass hole. Drill 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2in. This will give you a nice round hole.

I have High Speed twist bit's to 1in. I drilled the transom out so that 1/2in PVC would go into the holes. Actuallu a little larger than the OD of the PVC. That made room for the epoxy/Cabisol that the PVC was buttered with and then installed into the transom holes. Before I buttered up the PVC, I took an old tooth brush and dipped it in stright epoxy and run it in the holes in the transom.

Comment

Lay a 4ft level across the transom cap. Now jack the trailer to get the boat level. Set it on a jackstand or blocks to get it off the jack and have it level. The jack can drift down a little and throw everything out of wack.

Now I use a 4ft Drywall "T" square and a standard framing square to dry my lines.

Will the bracket have a full swim platform? Mine does.

I drilled the mounting holes in the bracket. I drilled them all at 3/16in first. 2 of the holes are on the ends of the platform. Position the platform as close to the horzintal line as you can. Drill a pilothole thru the 3/16in hole in the bracket and into the transom. Now install a self taping screw to secure that end. Now lay the 4ft level on the bracket and level it. Then drill thru the othe side 3/16in hole thru the bracket and pilot a hole for another self taping screw. Install that screw.

Now with a 3/16in bit in the drill mark the other holes thru the bracket and into the transom. Don't drill them deep, just a mark.

Remove the bracket and using a portable drill press drill the 3/16in holes thru the transom.

Can't find a pix of the portable drill press. I bought mine from Harbor Freight for about $25.00.

It will keep the hole stright when drilling thru the bracket and drilling thru the transom. You want to step the holes. Don't hog the size you want by drilling the final size at one time. You will have a caddy wompass hole. Drill 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2in. This will give you a nice round hole.

I have High Speed twist bit's to 1in. I drilled the transom out so that 1/2in PVC would go into the holes. Actuallu a little larger than the OD of the PVC. That made room for the epoxy/Cabisol that the PVC was buttered with and then installed into the transom holes. Before I buttered up the PVC, I took an old tooth brush and dipped it in stright epoxy and run it in the holes in the transom.

Comment

I will give it a try but when I set the core it was set using the skine distance beause there was abot 3/4 inch of filler that came off the port side cut out and even then it ended up 1/8 inch from one side to the other. The bracket has a 6 foot platform and is pre-drilled from d&d marine with an oversized tank. Unpainted Thanks for the advise I will see how it works

Comment

I will give it a try but when I set the core it was set using the skine distance beause there was abot 3/4 inch of filler that came off the port side cut out and even then it ended up 1/8 inch from one side to the other. The bracket has a 6 foot platform and is pre-drilled from d&d marine with an oversized tank. Unpainted Thanks for the advise I will see how it works

Comment

I didn't want them drilling mine, as the bottom mounting holes that they may have put in the bracket, could have lined up with the stringers and that would have not been good.

After the transsom core is in, it becomes irelevent as to the boat being level. After measuring around on the boat you will find that one side doesn't match the other side. At least that's been my case.

2 things are important here.

1] That the bracket is level to the boat.

2] That it looks right. Sometimes you have to adjust things so it looks right to your eye, but isn't correct acording to the tape measure.

Comment

I didn't want them drilling mine, as the bottom mounting holes that they may have put in the bracket, could have lined up with the stringers and that would have not been good.

After the transsom core is in, it becomes irelevent as to the boat being level. After measuring around on the boat you will find that one side doesn't match the other side. At least that's been my case.

2 things are important here.

1] That the bracket is level to the boat.

2] That it looks right. Sometimes you have to adjust things so it looks right to your eye, but isn't correct acording to the tape measure.

Comment

Working...
              X