23 Mako good deal or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 Mako good deal or not?

I have an opportunity to buy a 1977 23 mako with a 1995 225 Johnson. I went to see the boat today, and unfortunately, it has been stored outdoors. Transom felt solid, but I did see some stress cracks. All the teak is in bad shape and needs help. Seller claims he put in new fuel cell and all wiring, cables, switches, etc in 1995. He wants $7000. Trailer is original with crappy tires. Should I hop on this or not? Bargain for lower price? It may or may not need a new transom. Definitely needs a paint job. Give me some advice please.
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Thats about what I pait for mine ('75 23 with an '85 225 yamaha) Not really a bad deal, if the motor runs well. The motor lasted 2 years but I am now in the process of gutting the thing.

The truth is you probably have rot in the transom. Stress cracks in the corners of the notch? You could just use it and redo what you want, when you want. That was what I had planned to do until the motor went.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Yeah, stress crack in one notch. Not on the other. Motor is reportedly in good shape and owner just spent $1000 at end of last season to service it. Boat has no T-Top, no bimini, a few electronics, but nobody pays for that.

Comment

thats about what i paid for mine as well. if you think about it its not a bad deal as a new trailer is 2k, new engine 10k. so you are up and running at 7 and have room to make improvements without throwing $ downt the drain if you ever want to sell. It seems like the 23s of this vintage have alot of rot in the forward decking and gunwales. warthog and wilson both replaced theirs due to rot and i am in the process of doing the same. just something to check out.
        3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

Walk all over all decks. Any soft spots? You've got rot.
          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Thanks guys. I walked all over the boat and found no soft spots, but I'm sure there is some rot somewhere.

Comment

As a side note. A GOOD trailer is going to set you back at least 3K.

Mine was $3300.

Comment

Bawana-

Where are you located??? I would try and beat the guy up on the price a bit. Maybe can him down to around 6k. Then I would sell the engine, and strip the boat and start to rebuild her. Once that is done, you can invest in a new or newer motor. A month or so ago, you could pick up a new 2002 Suzuki 225 EFI 2-stroke engine for around $7k on ebay. Suzuki is discontinuing the 2 strokes, hence the low price.

I have a 1998 Suzuki 225 EFi 2-stroke and it runs well. I also have a friend that has a 2001 Suzuki 225 EFI 2stroke on his 23 Seacraft and he has not had any problems either.

As far as the trailer is concerned, if you plan on mooring the boat or keeping at a slip, try and salvage the trailer so you have something to use when you need to pull the boat. If you plan on keeping the boat on the trailer year round, you should probably plan on buying a new trailer.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

Bwana

Is this the boat in Fremont? Sounds very familiar to the one I looked at last week. Boat is very rough if this is one in the same. Definitely needs to come off his asking number.
                  Goldsboro, NC, USA

Comment

Bwana

Is this the boat in Fremont? Sounds very familiar to the one I looked at last week. Boat is very rough if this is one in the same. Definitely needs to come off his asking number.
                    Goldsboro, NC, USA

Comment

Texas. Thanks for all the good info. and ideas.

Comment

Texas. Thanks for all the good info. and ideas.

Comment

For boat values, go to www.boats.com. Also, I've been pricing new trailers and TA Mahoney's in Tampa has dual axle aluminum for a 20-ft boat for $1500.

Comment

thats a so so deal if your not in the florida area. Make sure that the motor runs for ya, check if he did put a new fuel cell in- look under the hatch under the console and look at the fittings on top of the tank and the foam- it will all look old as hell if its original. also measure down from the transom to the waterline and compare it to some of the guys on here with that same type setup. Some older makos will sit low and heavy- bad bad sign. If the gelcoat can't be buffed with compound and needs paint i wouldn't spend more that 5,000

Comment

That sounds like exactly what I bought last fall, a '76 23 foot Mako, with bimini top, trailer and a '99 yamaha 150 (bit underpowered). I paid 7k for it. The guy said it had a new tank in it and new foam under the tank. I let my friend borrow it and he blew the engine so Im doing some clean up work and restoration while I save enough money to purchase a 225 or 250 for it. I feel like the price was about fair, I wouldn't say it was a deal. Im in an expensive area though (Key West) Good luck
                              Cudjoe Key, FL (MM 23)

Comment

Working...
                              X