1981-238

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981-238

I have the opportunity to buy a 1981 238 that has been kept in a boat house for about the last 15 years. It is in very nice shape top to bottom but has no accessories to speak of. I can buy it and the trailer for about $5,000.00 so I think that's a good deal. What is the general opinion of these boats for use as an in and offshore fishing vessel? By this I mean how do they stack up against classic Makos and current boats? It has a 1994 Johnson on it but I plan to put a Four stroke 225 Yamaha on it with a hard top etc. I'd appreciate it if the group would let me know how these boats stack up. Murray
    Murray Gaskins[br]Valdosta, Georgia[br]Mexico Beach, Florida[br]Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,[br]don\'t tell them where they know the fish.

I'm not familiar with that model, but the deal sounds like a winner....even if you keep the Jonny on it for a short while.

-Pat.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Thanks for the answer, I ran the comps on it last night and it does seem a good deal. It's being picked and dragged here this as we speak. The 238 model is fairly heavy at 2800 pounds. It is a walk around cuddy with a little set of wooden drawers in it.

I plan to pull out the steering (which doesn't work) and to replace it. I have just made arrangements to pick up the power steering assembly and a Yamaha 225 four stroke this morning. I have a buddy who has a use for the Johnson and wants to buy it to power a small barge. He'll help me install the engine and the steering over the weekend, the plan is to replace the electronics and bilge pumps while I'm at it. It is definitely the time to look at the gas tank and upgrade that as well. Over the next week or two I will plan to install a hard top and probably will put a Furuno Radar on it.

I would liked to have had a 25 footer had one been available at a the right price for what I have been wanting to do but I looked for a year and couldn't find just the right deal then this one came along. Ease of trailering with a 23 will probably be a little easier too.

I sure do wish somebody had some ideas about this beast and how this model has performed over the years. The guy who owned it used it in fresh water and kept it in a boat house out of the water.
      Murray Gaskins[br]Valdosta, Georgia[br]Mexico Beach, Florida[br]Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,[br]don\'t tell them where they know the fish.

Comment

i have an 89 230 similar to the 238. i have yet to figure out the difference. all the specifications on it seem to be identical. i use the boat mostly offshore in the gulf. it will handle 3-4 seas comfortably, 5-6 if you're not in a hurry. i have done a lot of inshore fishing and it will go anywhere most of the so called "bay boats" will go. i have thought about getting a bigger boat, but as you said, the 23 is a very comfortable tow. it is a very solid hull and other than space considerations for storage etc. it's perfect for overniters and hauling in the big ones.
        Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

Grant,

Thanks for answering. I did make a mistake on the weight of the 238, it's 2500, the 230 weighs 2800 according to the Mako site.

We got the steering and the engine installed, we're now working at filling and Gel coating the holes where screwed on stuff was removed,

buffing the thing out. We have started on the frame for the hard top, are working at replacing bilges and other instruments. I plan to take it to the Gulf the end of the week. I fish Steinhatchee to Destin. How about you? Thanks, Murray

Comment

in the process of doing the same thing. filling holes, removing broken parts and pieces. worst thing is i've had the boat going on 3 yrs. wish i would have found out some of the things on this site a lot sooner. one thing i noticed since the first time i took her out it that she sometimes has a definite list to port at speed and seems very sensitive to weight distribution. i have talked to a few other mako owners and have heard the same complaint. i fish mostly out of grand isle and barataria pass from southwest pass to fourchon. if fixing the things that need immediate attention don't break me i plan on putting the trim tabs on and trying some trolling this year. otherwise, got a good plan on putting a dent in the snapper population.
            Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

Well, we got the hard top frame all welded up and the top on it.

Changed out the bilge pumps, kept the one that runs the fresh/salt water wash down and installed another pump to run a bait well. We installed the plotter in the hard top then went to bolt on the radar then found out the bolts that come with the system are about 1/2 inch too short to go through the hard top.

Question:The Yamaha 225 Four stroke makes the boat sit a little lower in the stern than I would like. I plan to use a large live bait well and perhaps rather than locate it in back near the transom maybe adjust its position forward behind the leaning post on a non skid mat to even out the boat. Does anyone leave a big tank unsecured to the deck on a mat? Will it ride and stay put on a rubber truck mat or something like that? I have had lots of built in arrangements but this way I could take it in or out if I don't screw the thing down. I'm open for suggestions. Thanks, Murray

Take care, Murray

Comment

lol, sure not wasting any time are you! looks like i'm 3 or 4 more weeks from having mine ready to head to the rigs. jonesing bad!

Comment

Well, I decided to go on and build it up all at once and then decide whether to sell my other boat which is a pretty nice 238 Carolina Skiff semi-V built like wanted it with a T top, extended casting deck, leaning post, very low hours Honda 115 Four Stroke, live wells and lots more.

We put the Mako in the water on Saturday afternoon and tried it out. Just by putting the hard top on it everything balanced out right, it's not back end heavy anymore.

The radio wouldn't talk so I better work through that before the weekend. Everything else worked fine. We caught a bunch of nice Spanish and Blues, no Cobia though. I plan to fish Mexico Beach over the weekend for Snapper and maybe a Cobia or two. Take care, Murray

Comment

Working...
                  X