Color Code for Gelcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Code for Gelcoat?

I'm ordering a bottom barrier coat for my Mako and the paint supplier will custom blend the paint if I supply them with a color code. Does anyone know the color code for my boat. Its an 87 Mako 254.

If I remember correctly, Mako has 2 colors - the "old" color and the "new" color and mine is the "old" color.

I know that I can take a sample to a paint store and have it analyzed but I'm hoping someone already knows what I'm looking for.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    Get Down Fishing Charters[br]http://www.capecanaveralfishingcharters.com

Fletch-

Mako has about 4-5 different color variations of it's gelcoat. For your 1987 model....you want Mako gelcoat #1. I believe this gelcoat was used up until about 1992-1993....then things starting changing like crazy.

Mako used to supply its dealers with the original gelcoat but no longer. You'll need to order it from Spectrum Gelcoat or MiniCraft Gelcoat. In all probability, because of the sun's effects on your boat, you'll probably have to add some white tint to the original spectrum gelcoat to match the faded finish of your boat. I think minicraft will match your faded gelcoat if you can provide a sample.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

You could always get a set of Pantone chips and eyeball it. If the light is right, you can get pretty close. I used to have a set of those... had to have them when I was designing parts of sets, stages, and lighting just before my time as a sound designer. (My degree is in technical theatre). I'll see if I can dig up my old chips and get an address of a company that makes them. Most paint type companies can use these codes.

-Pat.
      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Thanks guys.

I posted without much thought the other day cause I was hoping to place a paint order that day. I've talked to the guys at Mini-craft and I also talked to the paint supplier again. Mini craft has Gel-Coat to match my hull but they don't have a mixing code that would be useful to the paint supplier (and they wouldn't give it to me if they did). The supplier suggested that I go to any mainstream paint supplier and review their paint samples to find one that closely matches my paint. The supplier can then mix to match that color.

It doesn't have to be an exact match - I just wanted it to be fairly close.

Thanks again,

Tim

Comment

Thanks guys.

I posted without much thought the other day cause I was hoping to place a paint order that day. I've talked to the guys at Mini-craft and I also talked to the paint supplier again. Mini craft has Gel-Coat to match my hull but they don't have a mixing code that would be useful to the paint supplier (and they wouldn't give it to me if they did). The supplier suggested that I go to any mainstream paint supplier and review their paint samples to find one that closely matches my paint. The supplier can then mix to match that color.

It doesn't have to be an exact match - I just wanted it to be fairly close.

Thanks again,

Tim

Comment

Working...
          X