"DA" Sander...exactly what is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "DA" Sander...exactly what is it??

I hear you guys talking about 'DA' Sanders...what exactly is one?? What does DA stand for, dual action??

I was watching Ed's fg vids he made for me (thanks so much...though I knew alot of it so far, its the litte tips/tricks they give that make so much of a difference...as they say, 'devil is in the details'...) and they were using one...kind of looks like a pneumatic version of those cheapo orbital car buffers, at least action wise, though it was hard to tell exactly.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

DA = Dual Action... Its an air driven random orbital sander with tons of power. Very good tool to have around.

Heres some of my air tools. DA sander, cut-off tool, & die grinder. My favorite isn't pictured... the angled die grinder.

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

can you use the da as a buffer as well? or is there a better tool to use?
      3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

There are electric versions too.

What I can't figure out (as far as air tools are concerened) is what the difference is between a DA and a Random orbit. They look different, but in reality seeem to be the same. Th only difference I can see it that there is usually a dust collection port on the Random orbit, and they are more expensive.
        1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

There is no differance. When a new guy ask's what a DA is I usually say it's a Dumb Ass. HeHe. It's Dual Action as Eddie say's.

For a long time they were only available in air powered, then the electric tool company's jumped on board. A Porter Cable 333 is a good unit and will not break the bank. I use my PC 333 more now than my air unit.

Comment

The reason the electrics have a dust collector is because of the high-speed motor with a blower fan attached to the shaft for both cooling and dust collection. However this only works when the sanding disks (with the holes in them) are used.

-Pat.
            18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

I have a porter cable DA too, and that sucker has got me through inumerable projects. $50 refurbished and I have put it through hell. In 5 years all I have had to do is replace a bearing.

The "random orbits" with dust collection that I was talking about were air driven. Just seems to be a labeling/pricing issue I guess.
              1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

No Sh!t? I've never seen an air powered one with the dust collector. Then again I don't have any air-tools...YET. I do have a nice array of electric tools though.
                18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

I'm crappin' you negative.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Working...
                  X