help removing protective film on windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help removing protective film on windshield

I just bought a windshield and the protective paper will not peel off very easily at all. Is there any safe adhesive remover or anything that will not damage the windshield. Thanks

Try a warm blow dryer (NOT HEATGUN NO..NO..NO). The protective paper is a bit like masking tape with its adhesive. If you warm it gently it peels easier. Clean the residue with alcohol. If it is plexiglas or other plastic-based materials (other than glass) don't use acetone or nail polish remover as it will disolve the outer layer of plastic and haze the glass.

-Pat.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Thanks cyclops I'll try that. RingLeader I'm talking about the paper that comes on plexiglass or lexan when it is new to protect it. The windshield I bought had been sitting in a garage for twenty years (1984) so the paper is pretty stuck. Please help!!

Comment

Gotcha. I thought the rabbit pix was pretty cute and had to work it into some thread and you were the lucky one. Sorry.

I'd say to stay away from tough solvents. Usually the stuff just peels right off, but I'm guessing that age is a big factor here. Its probably carmelized so to say. I'd try goof off or mineral spirits on a very small area first. Somewhere out of view. I wouldn't do any scraping with sharp tools... this is gonna be a fingernail job.

If that doesn't work... Refer to the pix above.[]

Comment

For some reason the damn bunny gave me a big laugh!
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I've been laughing at it for 2 days now. Every time I see it! Kristie, said, "it's cute and all, but I don't get it?"

Best sense I can make of it is that your just not supposed to get it. He's a cute little wabbit with a flapjack on his head.. Speaking of which... I'm walking out the door to hit the Waffle House right now!

Comment

Don't expect them to get it
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

still struggling with it !!!!

Comment

Miguel, I have had similar problems and have had good luck using warm soapy (kitchen soap)water.
                    Mike[br]S.E. Ma[br]

Comment

DAMNIT!! WISH I HAD A WAFFLE HOUSE IN MY FRONT YARD!!![]
                      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Olive oil works. Finally making some progress.

Comment

You could also find a local shop that sells windshields and or materials and either call or stop by to see what they have to say about removing the paper. Being that's their business, they probably have already run into this and could have a simple easy way to do the job.
                          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

You could also find a local shop that sells windshields and or materials and either call or stop by to see what they have to say about removing the paper. Being that's their business, they probably have already run into this and could have a simple easy way to do the job.
                            1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X