X-Ducer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Ducer

I got my X-ducer [Airmar B-260] and High Speed fairing block today.

These things are HUGE and HEAVY too.

The Furuno 582L will be here tommorow.[]

Warthog, with all the glasswork etc you've done...I'm real surprised you're not boxing that thing in the keel.

I hate to say it, but thats the route I'd take. I'm thinking of doing it to mine next spring....I hate its location (under the stbd removable aft box), at trolling speeds it takes some bubbles as you roll through the swells. Also, at speed, I can feel the drag and have to use a slight amount of tab to compensate. I'd really like to get it down low and flush.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Do you have a B-260 X-ducer?

I don't really like this big honking thing hanging down either.

I'm just real conserned about how it preforms.

Comment

No, I dont think so. Probably the 500 watt standard thru-hull that comes with the Furuno 667. Former owner of boat had a 667 on it, left the ducer but took the head unit. For several reasons, we replaced with the same. I think I know which ducer you have in your hand, that is a completely different animal. I wouldnt, at all, want to be dragging that around.

Like I said, at 4000 RPM I'm doing 30 knots and by stbd bow drops a bit. Have to compensate by dropping port tab to even up. I dont get the bow lift I think I should when I trim up, hull doesnt 'fly' like I think it should, I think all because of that transducer dragging in the stbd corner. Has to be costing me some speed running around with the bow down a bit.

And yours, my friend, is much bigger.

Beyond that, trolling at 6-8 knots I think I pick up some air under there, particularly if choppy. I get clutter that I dont get on the hook or if going slow. If performance is your main concern, I'm convinced I'd be much better off with a box.

I was actually on bertram31.com a few weeks ago, I was telling my friend what I wanted to do and he sent me an email saying they have an article on it over there. I'm sure you dont need it, but may give you an idea or two. As much as I hate the idea of cutting a hole in my keel...I think that will be next spring's project. Guess you could say I'm that unhappy at the moment.

BTW, those 582s are nice machines. Would have one myself if it had fit in my flush panel in the elec box.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to post the pixs... They are up now.[]
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

My transducer is right on the centerline of the keel about 18" in front of the transom. No problems. I don't believe air gets down there. Nothing but green water comes off the keel. But, even if it did, the disturbance would be offset from the engines and cavitation problems should not exist.

My present transducer is a JRC thru hull bronze very similar to yours, but it does not have the high speed fairing block. I'm sure it creates some drag, but I can't feel it. I previously had a Foruno thru hull bronze transducer and did not have any problems with that either. With the fairing block you've got to be improving the situation.

Then again, you could shoot thru the hull. I know you can read bottom and fish, the guestion becomes - what are you missing?
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
            1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

My transducer is right on the centerline of the keel about 18" in front of the transom. No problems. I don't believe air gets down there. Nothing but green water comes off the keel. But, even if it did, the disturbance would be offset from the engines and cavitation problems should not exist.

My present transducer is a JRC thru hull bronze very similar to yours, but it does not have the high speed fairing block. I'm sure it creates some drag, but I can't feel it. I previously had a Foruno thru hull bronze transducer and did not have any problems with that either. With the fairing block you've got to be improving the situation.

Then again, you could shoot thru the hull. I know you can read bottom and fish, the guestion becomes - what are you missing?
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
              1978 Mako 25, Sold

Comment

Working...
              X