I ordered a Compass today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered a Compass today

I found what I wanted and serched the internet for the best price.

I ordered from http://www.marineessentials.com/inde...on=Custom&ID=1

The order taker Ed sayed he didn't know anything about compass's.

My throughts were " What the hell are you doing there then"?

I ordered the RITCHIE FN-203 COMPASS. It is available in a PowerDamp Flat Card or CombiDamp Dials.

I had done my reserch and The CombiDamp is what I wanted. The heading is closest to you as apposed to PowerDamp Flat which is at the far side of the dial.

Ed made a call and called me back and said it would be the same as in the pix on their website. http://www.marineessentials.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=35

I hope he's right? The shipping was $11.63 UPS Ground. I feel like they are making money on the shipping. Ed said do you want to make the order or go somewhere else? I made the order.

Even shipping ground, $11.63 is about the standard if it weighs a few pounds. I have to order parts about the size of that compass daily, and I can tell you, that's about what all are charging (unless you find someone with a special on shipping).

Nice looking compass though...

-Pat.
    18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Just happen to have a UPS rate card here in front of me....shipping a 5# box is $5.30 - 7.00 depending on zone. This is for shipping to a place of business, so probably a few cents cheaper than to a home. But anyone doing volume shipping gets a substantial discount, so yes, they do make money, probably costing them half of what they are charging you.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Bobby-

You will be happy with the Ritchie (Pembroke, MA) Powerdamp....that is what I have on my 231. Granted it is a bit older, but it works well.

Also, Danforth (Gloucester, MA...division of ITT/Rule Industries) makes some mighty nice compasses too....although I think they are more money.

Geez......leave to those New England blue-blooded yankees to make the best navigation equipment!!

Ed

Boston, MA

Comment

Working...
        X