A little advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little advice

I know everyone will have a differing opinion on this one, but am looking for ideas and input. My 89 230 has a live well in the deck, just behind the fuel tank. Someone took the pump out before we got the boat and in the interest of saving some deck space am considering plumbing it back up. My brother, who worked rigging boats (mostly Makos) in the 80's said that the live well had a pump on the bottom of it to pump in water (the shut off valve and thru hull intake are still in the bottom of the hull) and the top "outlet" was not connected to anything as the live well would just "overflow" into the bilge and the bilge pump would empty it out. Now to me this is an awful lot of water to be pumping into the "inside" of the boat. I see no other thru hull drains that are not being used so I am assuming what he said was correct. Any thoughts?

Will be posting some pics soon of the ongoing projects. I'm more one to jump right to an idea and usually forget to take pics of the progress. But I'm getting better at it.
    Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Grant-

That sounds like a dangerous setup to me. Both my Makos (1991 models) had/have a hose connected to the live well overflow which exits out of the transom via a thru-hull fitting.

I would see if you can do that with your boat. I added a check valve on mine (to be safe) so that water can only flow out the thru-hull and not back in.

Ed

Comment

Thanks Ed. As I said, ideas, ideas, ideas. Never thought of the check valve but makes perfect sense.
      Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

Don't be pumping your livewell into the bildge! This is bad juju's.

Comment

It just happens I am replacing the valve you mentioned this evening.

That is your overflow, you should have a pipe that fits in the drain

allowing the water to fill to a level you need. I like the idea of the check valve, but does it restrict any water flow out of the well.
          Bob

Comment

Ringmaster posted an owners manual for the 231 in the FAQ/Reference section. There is a diagram of the original set up in the manual. It might be what you are looking for.
            Ole Joe
            Just floundering around
            White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
            1978 Mako 25

Comment

Well that question is answered. Awesome responses guys. Time to go shopping. Between the live well and the new tackle hatches, it should leave plenty room for running around the deck trying boat the big ones. Appreciate the help!

Comment

I might be missing something in you post... My 224 Has the pump plumbed to a small 5/8" hole in the top side. That is where the water comes in. The hole in the bottom is the drain. The level is maintained by inserting a "T" shaped pvc stand pipe in the drain hole. The top of the pipe, horizontal part, has holes in it to act as a strainer. To drain the live well... remove the standpipe. w/o the stand pipe in place and the ball valve open... the water level in the well should equalize w/ the waterline of the boat and be a couple inches below the hatch.

Yours might be different.

Comment

Agree with what the other guys said plus you may want to consider putting in a seacock valve for your water intake. Is this livewell in the deck or above the deck?

Strick
                  Oakley, California

Comment

Flounder pointed me in the right direction. Looking at the manual our webmaster has posted for the 230, I see exactly what is missing. EVERYTHING! With the exception of the seacock on the intake. As I said, time to go shopping! My live well is in the deck, as in the manual. Appreciate all of the help.

Comment

On the hatch's. I would suggest you look at the TH Sureseal hatch's. They have double O-ring's to seal them.

http://www.thmarine.com/product.cfm?PRID=6

Comment

Oh yeah....

Almost forgot to mention that my 231 has bronze seacocks on all thru-hull intakes. I added them last summer.

As for the checkvalve, I did notice that it did slightly restrict some of the overflow "flow" a bit, but not enough to cause flooding on the deck. I am thinking of adding a small pump with a built in float switch in to the overflow line, that will force out any water in the line when the float switch senses water.

I would think that this will help keep the water in the baitwell as fresh as possible. Does anyone know of any negatives to this setup???

Ed

Comment

Working...
                        X