Transom Drain Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transom Drain Hole

I would appreciate some advice on the best way to seal the plywood that appears to still be exposed after the factory drilled the hole for the drain plug. I unscrewed the three screws and removed the brass plug assembly that was set in a minimal amount of caulk. It came off way too easy. Should I spread Git Rot in the hole and then set the brass drain in 5200 or spread 5200 around the inside of the hole. Any other ideas? Is this normal for a 2000 Mako?

Thats why I hate silicone, the stuff turns to shit after a year or so. Its garbage and has no place on a boat... except for temporary sealing... by temporary I mean 1 season at the most.

Git rot would be a good idea. Swab the hole several times with git rot. You'll make several small batches of the stuff about 30 minutes apart and swab the exposed wood really well. Then on the final coat I would thicken the epoxy with some cabosil or something and swab it one last time. Then install the drain tube in a good bedding of 5200. You should be good to go.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I agree,[]

Comment

Thanks for the advice, it worked great. After your silicone comments I checked and found other screw holes that needed to be corrected. I know my Mako 195 is not a true "Classic Mako" but it is the closest I could get and still meet my family needs. If you would like a copy of my owners manual please let me know.

Comment

Absolutely. E-mail me and we'll work out the owners manual arrangements. [email protected]

Ed
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

If I could convince my wife...I'd have silicone (or saline) on my boat all the time!!!! []
            Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

HEHEHEH!!![]
              \'81 21\' CC Mako[br]Beaufort, NC

Comment

Working...
              X