Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering a '76 23 foot

Hello all,

I recently bought a '76 Mako, and the outboard blew up on it (don't let your friends borrow your boat) Regardless, Im now considering three options - 1. Remanufactured powerhead for the '99 Yamaha 150. 2. Purchase a new Honda or Yamaha 225 4-stroke or 3. New twin Honda/Yamaha 4-stroke 115s. I figure everyone will have their own opinion, but Id like to hear the comments anyway. The hull has a good transom and is rated for 250 HP. I plan on restoring the boat myself sometime, but want to enjoy it for a few years before really taking her down. Thanks for the input everyone!
    Cudjoe Key, FL (MM 23)

I take it you want to leave the notched transom?

150hp is way underpowered for that hull. So forget the new powerhead for that motor, unless you are planning a bunch of upgrades in the future.

IE Enclosing the transom and adding a bracket with twin's on it.

In that case hang the 150 on it and start saving your money.

Take a GOOD look at the Suzuki's. Get all the imfo about the motors before you make a decission and you will find that in the 4stroke ranks the Suzuki will come out on top.

No timing belt to break [Yamaha & Honda] Lighter weight than Honda. Higher output on the alt.

Comment

Thanks for the reply warthog. The transom has been rebuilt and it was raised 5". It was reinforced with 1/4" stainless steel diamond plate front and back. That adds some extra seaworthiness. I was planning on leaving that setup for the one or two outboards.
      Cudjoe Key, FL (MM 23)

Comment

Why 4 stroke? They are heavy, and dont do as well on fuel as the new DFIs. Like Warthog mentioned, I have a customer that hit some lumber while running hard with his 4 stroke that was one season old. Timing belt skipped or broke and he ate his valve train. It was not a warranty thing and he was not particularly happy!
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

makorider What motor was that on?

Comment

Hmmm...it was two falls ago, I want to say Honda. 75% sure it was. I'm not a big four stroke guy and unless 2 strokes dissappear will never own one so I dont pay too much attention....
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

You need at least 200hp on that boat. 4 strokes will sink it. Only go with 4 strokes if you like fishing with wet feet.

Comment

Working...
              X