Mako HuLL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako HuLL?

I am looking to buy a mako and I was looking for some personal feedback on the Hull of Mako Boats, and a general comparison of the New vs. Old Hull.
    TRM

uh oh !

Comment

Why uh oh!! is there a problem w/ the new mako hulls?
      TRM

Comment

Naaaa, just a heated debate between old vs new.

Comment

Yes there is a difference. I have, and still do own a Mako since 1972. My 261 is 16 years old and is in mint condition. All of thier hulls ride differently. It depends on what you are looking for. I will tell you this. The Makos built after 1992 are nowhere as good as the boats built prior. This is due to the original owner, Robert Schwebke, selling the Compnay to some New Yorkers who did not know how to run a business or build a boat. For instance: If you compare the ride of my 261 to that of the 254. My boat will ride up and over the same wave a 254 will cut through. This was explained to me by the owners son at the factory one day. Hope this helps.

Comment

Becker, welcome... Glad to have another member with a plethora of Mako experience to share. I assume the 254 is a heavier hull and is only an 8' beam as opposed to the 8'6" beam on the 261. The 254 also lacks strakes in the forward portion of the hull bottom. What is the best reason you can come up with as to why there is such a difference in the ride of the 254 vs. 261?
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I love my 88 21B, I really like my brother's 254 (Hammertime. But, make no mistake, if someone came up and wanted to trade me new 25 for it....well....see ya 21B.

Comment

Eddie-

My buddy Jodi (resto shop owner)....has a 1983 254. The boat cuts right through the waves....and I think it has something to do with the lack of the forward lifting strakes. However, my boat 231 rides better in calmer waters because it rides on the surface where his plows more. PLus, Mako lists the boat as weighing 2880lbs (same as my 231) but I can tell you from personal experience that a 254 (even restored) weighs much more. Jodi and I have lifted both of our boats up with forklifts from the lifting eye and there was a noticeable difference between the two.

Comment

Working...
                X