Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help...anyone have advice on rust stains??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...anyone have advice on rust stains??

The "master boat builder" that owned my 25 cc before me had a thing for sheetrock screws. I would like these rust stains to disappear and David Copperfield is booked up. I have heard everything under the sun, but people in these forums seem to know what they are talking about.....thanks
    1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

try some rubbing compound
    Prev Boats[br]1974 18ft Fleetcraft 74-97[br]1974 20ft Mako 95-99[br]Currently[br]1978 25ft Mako CC 99-??

Comment

oxolic (sp?) acid....try those little plastic cans of blue jelly called 'FSR' - 'Fiberglass Stain Remover', or 'The Works' toilet bowl cleaner. Will pull them right out, just apply, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse before it dries.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

fsr is the stuff

Comment

The stuff at the grocery store called.....rust stain remover....be sure to rinse well.

Comment

cheapest way is to buy oxalic acid, its a weak bleaching acid and is also an iron scavenger other than that try any of the boat care products ie davis fsr, rule fiberglass stain remover etc
            3N2, 76 mako 23, marblehead, ma[br]

Comment

Sno Bol toilet cleaner
              1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Carpetdiem-

If those products that others have recommended dont work.....Take some wet/dry sandpaper on a block...around 1000grit and try to gently wetsand them out of the gelcoat. If the 1000 doesnt work, move down to 600. Just be careful not to sand through the gelcoat.

Ed

Comment

thank all of you for the advice....I have my work cut out for me
                  1976 25\' Mako CC \"Makoritaville\"[br]1986 48\' Viking \"Tight Spot\" [br]197? 14\' Mitchell \"Tender Spot\"[br]Biloxi, MS[br][br]

Comment

The absolute best is On&Off hull and deck cleaner. Not only will it take care of the rust it will make childs play out of any water stain

you can get it a most marine stores. Go ahead and sieze the day and get some

Matthew
                    Gulfport,MS

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by carpetdiem

The "master boat builder" that owned my 25 cc before me had a thing for sheetrock screws. I would like these rust stains to disappear and David Copperfield is booked up. I have heard everything under the sun, but people in these forums seem to know what they are talking about.....thanks

Mary Kate On/Off is an acid sold at most Boating stores. You may have to treat it several times to remove heavy rust stains.

Comment

Working...
                      X