Bilge discharge height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge discharge height

Going to Florida in two months, decided I probably need a backup bilge just in case. My boat is normally on a trailer, but its staying moored fro two weeks.

Question, I bought a 3600GPH pump with a 1-1/2 discharge. I want to dedicate the discharge on the rear side. How high above the water line would I drill this? I am using a GEMLUX 90 degree discharge. I plan on looping the line before the discharge to create an air lock for water washing back toward the pump.

Mr. Delgado....I see you added one but I can't tell how high it is???
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

I have 2 on mine. Not sure if they're both factory but they discharge on each side right behind the placard. You can see it in these pictures. Mine are smaller the 1.5" but they are only a 1500 backup and a 2500 primary. My resting water line is right at the bottom of the scuppers

'90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

I'd go 2, 2000gph (or 2000, 1500) over 1 3600. 2 is preferred: primary and backup. Mount the backup higher in the bilge.

Dont use a 90 fitting, restricts flow. Plumb out side near the placards up near the rubrail. Put a riser loop in it to prevent backflow.
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by rustyolddad

Going to Florida in two months, decided I probably need a backup bilge just in case. My boat is normally on a trailer, but its staying moored fro two weeks.

Mr. Delgado....I see you added one but I can't tell how high it is???

mrd are just my initials, no need for the formality []

My primary is a 750 with a water witch swich pretty low. My secondary is a 2000 with the switch higher up as backup.

Like justin said, I put a loop as high as I could go, and down to the discharge thruhull. So technically the thru hull could be placed at any height as long as the loop is high above the waterline
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I failed to clarify I already have a pump. I have a 900 lovette that sits at the lowest point of my bilge. I was adding a 3600 backup as a OH CRAP pump! I mounted this one in the rear bilge area but higher than the main Lovette pump.
          quote:

Originally posted by Justin

I'd go 2, 2000gph (or 2000, 1500) over 1 3600. 2 is preferred: primary and backup. Mount the backup higher in the bilge.

Dont use a 90 fitting, restricts flow. Plumb out side near the placards up near the rubrail. Put a riser loop in it to prevent backflow.

Comment

I prefer to have my discharges higher up...in the event something happens. Pipes break, fittings crack, etc. If you mount high you don't need to loop the line. I also prefer to have one on each side so if it kicks on I know which pump and how much water - if the backup kicks on I know the water is high and the primary has failed.

I agree with Justin, lose the 90* fitting - you want straight shots all the way. Don't use the crappy corrugated bilge pump hose either. Get some smooth walled hose. I use white sanitation or clear water hose. You may need to heat it to soften the hose then it will slide onto the fitting.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

I prefer to have my discharges higher up...in the event something happens. Pipes break, fittings crack, etc. If you mount high you don't need to loop the line. I also prefer to have one on each side so if it kicks on I know which pump and how much water - if the backup kicks on I know the water is high and the primary has failed.

Good points

It's all about redundancy. My secondary is also on a high water alarm, so i know its going off and the primary failed or is overwhelmed. The secondary has also completely separate wiring, grounds, fuses, switch, and goes to the other battery bank.
              [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

all points well taken, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X