windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield?

I am looking for opinions about windshields on smaller (17-20 ft) center consoles. Many have removed them. What are advantages of removing them? What are the disadvantages?

To me the major disadvantage is that the electronics and gauges will likely get more spray.

Thanks for you opinion. Debating on removing it from my 17 angler.
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Agree with issues you mentioned and IMO a 17 looks cheaper without a windshield.
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

only time removing a windshield is appropriate in my thoughts are when you make an eisenglass or strataglass enclosure, otherwise need some protection from the wind, elements unless the boat never goes on plane. Seen some fly fisherman remove but otherwise don't see the need

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Anybody out there that has removed them and love it? The lower profile without a windshield is great for clearance and offers a clean look.
        Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SeaReel

Thanks for the replies. Anybody out there that has removed them and love it? The lower profile without a windshield is great for clearance and offers a clean look.

I agree. The windshield removed on smaller boats does make a cleaner bay boat look. But on my 20, there were many days when it was windy, cool or raining that I was glad to be behind it.
          2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

I think a small windshield is worth its weight in gold, when you are making long runs in less than warm weather, or if it is raining at all.

I would only remove one from my boat altogether, if I had, at least, one of those vinyl roll up windscreens I could affix from the t-top in case of weather.
            1972 Mako 22[br]1979 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
            X