Mako 235

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 235

Any one have any insight on the 235? how is the ride comparable to the 224? I like the layout but seems like it has to looks of the 70's 23 and I just dont know a lot about them. Also looks like the console is back further than the 224. Everything for me is compared to the 224 because of how dry and nice the ride is for a 23' boat. Once again, i appreciate the insight.
    Dustin[br]1985 Mako 224 w/ E-tec 250hp [br]St. Pete, FL[br]

Probably almost identical ride...same deadrise, same basic hull shape and strake layout. 235 console is farther aft and boat is a smidge bigger than the 224 so ride at helm may be slightly softer but we are likely splitting hairs.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I appreciate the insight. I do like the layout, Im just wondering if a new "smaller" console could be moved forward a bit, and the rear fish boxes cut out to increase room in the rear. As far as console width, it looks like it cant be too much skinnier since the tank sits underneath and the wire chases have to be so far apart. Any chance on getting some measurements? Curious to see how wide the console would have to be, how far back from the tip of the nose to the console it is, and the console to the transom, to get some comparative numbers.

Justin, if its easier to text, my number is 941-713-08 seven nine

Comment

Check out my restore project youll probably find some answers.

http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54845

Regarding a smaller console and moving it forward will take a lot of work, unless 2-3 inches are enough. The rigging tubes are at the back of the console so moving it forward would require cutting the deck and extending tubes toward the bow. Same issue with the width, tubes would need to be moved toward the center.

Take a look at page 3 of my thread about mid way down, I put the console base exactly where it was originally.

However anything is possible if you want to put in the work.

I can get you measurements if you still want, just may take a few days.
        Long Island, New York

Comment

ill be inside my 235 console tomorrow doing some wiring just let me know the dimensions you need. I thought the console was giant when I first got the boat, and it is, but honestly I have grown to like it. It is a "big" 23' boat and even with the giant console further aft with the relatively large rear lockers there is still a ton of room at the stern. Gutted stern with enclosed transom absolutely huge yes, but stock isn't confining by any means. Of coarse that's just my opinion[8D]

-Jeff

Comment

I appreciate it! 81Mako I actually looked through your whole project thread and was very impressed! Like the 224, I would plan on removing the rear fish boxes and actually putting them in the deck. As far as the console is concerned, would you be able to move the tubes in closer to each other, or would the tank and coffin be in the way?

Birdie- If you dont mind taking a few measurements so I can compare it to my 224 just to see how everything lays out. I would ask for the tip of the nose to the front of the console, the back of the console to the transom, and maybe the very front of the deck to the console (to see how much room up front there is as well). I really do appreciate it! I am looking at all my options in redoing one of these classics, and plan on enclosing the transom with a porta-bracket to really make it an inshore/offshore machine. The added fuel tank capacity, where it sits in the hull (it looks further forward than the 224), and the front deck layout make the 231 seems like an ideal candidate! And also the height of the front casting deck with the hatches. I am just really torn with the 224 because it has really been such a great boat for us! If its easier to text me those measurements, that would be great! 941-713-08 seven nine. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

took the boat back to storage before I saw this but I can get the measurements this week sometime. The rigging tubes are hugging the fuel tank. The only way you could change how far forward or how wide the console is would be to change the layout under the deck. I would think you could drop the tube back under the deck and extend the tube up and around the fuel tank which would put your rigging tube at the front of the console. It would take a lot of thought as the tank cover extends almost to the front of the console.

Depending on how she runs this season I may be on the same page with the bracket. If I did my tank I may consider moving it forward a bit to compensate for a big ol 4 stroker.

-Jeff

Comment

Anyone running any new power on these 235s? How are the numbers? Curious how a 300 Zuke would perform on these with more weight up front...

Comment

Working...
                X